FORTY-THREE✔️

****

"Dad", Keila hesitates before calling out again.

"Mom".

The living room was quiet as if lifeless, which was the case. She dumped her purse on the couch and walked inside the house. She stopped at her Dad's bedroom door and knocked.

"Keila, come in", he said almost a whisper.

She entered and saw her dad sitting by the headboard and her mom's head cuddled on his laps. She managed to smile at him. Her mom was sleeping.

"How is she?".

"No much improvement", Alex said and his eyes dropped to affirm that statement.

"Sorry dad, she will come around soon, I hope. You're really doing your best and I feel there isn't more you can do asides this".

"Thanks daughter, I hope your mother comes around really. She doesn't deserve to stay this way. I miss her old self".

"I do too", Keila confessed. "I miss her being so happy and full of chatter. Even when I was a grown up, she had always loved to braid my hair for me, loved to go shopping with me when you were busy, she loved to bake cake with a new technique each time, and ask me, "baby, how is this flavor?".

By now, Keila has started to sob gently, emotional was an understatement for who she was.

Alex carefully placed Dawn's head on the pillow and walked over to her.

"Let's go out".

Keila had been mad at Dawn when she left, asides Lexy, she could tell her mom every damn thing that was up with her. But Dawn had left without explanations and without looking back. She hated her comeback in a sick condition.

"Dad, I would do anything for her to be well again. I want her back, Hale and hearty, I miss mom a lot".

"She will be fine".

"She doesn't look it, why can't we let her stay at the hospital?".

"Keila, you should understand this better. It isn't about the money I want to pay, I can comfortably afford that, but the medical term she is suffering from, is a very rare and difficult case. It is hard to combat and victims have a little life span to hold on to, currently, she has less than two years left. I sincerely hope she can escape this, but the chances are unsure. When doctors realize this, they don't put an effort in taking care of that patient, since they believe they would be gone soon. I don't want her to be abandoned there, I want to be able to look after her every remaining days she has to spend".

Keila knew her dad wanted to cry but was trying to be a man. He loved Dawn so much and his heart has been torn since she left. She missed every nuclear family moment they once had.

"I'm sorry dad, it will be fine one day".

"I always hope so but at times I'm not sure it will be".

"We just have to be positive in the face of negativities".

"Thanks Kei, I would have wanted us to walk walk around but if she wakes up, no one would be in there with her", he pointed to his room door.

"I understand. Seems we have a discussion pending".

"Yeah".

Alex sat down on a chair on the veranda and he instructed his daughter to sit also.

"Uh, I don't want you to be offended by what I have to tell you, because I never meant to disturb you about this. I wanted you to have your time and bring home the news but now I realize it needs urgency".