FORTY-FOUR✔️

*******

   Having been bothered for almost two weeks concerning what her dad discussed with her, Keila decided to call Lexy against her wish.

  She knew her dad didn't threaten but the first and last time he did, it wasn't an empty threat. That last time he had done so was enough to teach her a lesson.

  She felt he wasn't reasonable enough this time. Marriage wasn't something you could jump into, wouldn't her dad get that?.

  She needed to be settled and with someone she truly loved. She didn't even feel like that part any longer, loving someone.

  She suddenly started to feel Hayden's absence. If everything had been fine, they were supposed to get married. He was her fiancé after all and she had greatly loved him. She wasn't sure anymore, but rather than have her father marry her to a rich billionaire she didn't love, she didn't think she would mind getting back with Hayden. That sounded ridiculous so she just called Lexy.

  "Lex!", she sounded happy to reconnect with her after two weeks of her wedding. She hadn't wanted to call, since she didn't want to interrupt their honeymoon.

  "Keila", Lexy was equally happy, replying with the same enthusiastic tone.

  "How have you been over there?".

  "Sure good, with this heaven on earth vibes".

  "Damn, I envy you babe".

  "Come off that. How are you too?".

  "I'm good madam. I miss you anyways".

  "I've not been chanced to miss you", Lexy jested. "I finally have my husband to myself alone. It's worth the stress we've been through".

  "Nice. I guess I'm as well ruining the time you have alone with James".

  "Shut it, I'm glad you called".

  "I wouldn't have if something urgent hadn't come up. I never wanted to disturb you, but after what I went through last, I can only confide in you".

  "What's up again babe?".

  "My dad".

  "Sir Alex, is he okay?, he didn't fall sick did he?", Lexy asked with concern. She took Alex like a father and he had been good to her when she and Keila attended college.

  "Nah, he is fine".

  "I'm in suspense here".

  After being unable to speak for seconds, Keila finally responded. She felt lost where to start from.

  "He wants me to get married soon, says mom doesn't have much time left and she needs a grandchild. He threatened if I don't act, he is going to act himself. You know what that means".

  "Fuck!", Lexy gasped and slowly added. "I really do".

     ********

  Keila was at work when her secretary said the former company's head wanted to see her. She tensed up, she had avoided him for more than a month since they had their last discussion. He hadn't come after her or gave her threatening calls and she feared that silence more.

  She wasn't decided yet and she seemed busy enough to have time for going in search of a fiancé, she was even the lady, a lady with an high class status, what did her father expect?.

  "Let him come in", she ordered.

  "Okay ma'am".

Keila closed the credit report she was working on and relaxed before her dad came in. She didn't want to seem weak to him.

  "Daughter", Alex smiles when he got into her office.

  "Good afternoon dad. Please have your seat", she said trying so hard to be lively.

  "Good job you've been doing here".

  "Thanks for the compliment".

  "Hmmmn".

  "It's almost closing hour. When you're done at work, let's hang out", he added after what felt like an hour of silence and was that seven seconds.

  She didn't want to have a moment alone with him, thereby giving him a chance to talk about what he had proposed to her.

  "That can't work, dad. I'm going to be spending extra hour at work, I still have a lot to do and I need to get it done properly", she lied obviously, because she wasn't extremely busy enough to work extra hours.

  "That's fine. Probably add another extra hour cause I will go ahead and tell you why I came here".

  "I know and I'm working on it".

  "Keila. You are not working on anything, I've been monitoring you. You don't go out, after work, you go home. And once or twice, you've gone to see Lexy. And you say you're working on it".

  "Has it gotten to the extent you need to monitor me?", she shouted in frustration.

  "Don't you shout at me daughter".

  "Now I don't think I'm your daughter".

  "Watch your tongue little. I just want the best for you".

  "No, you don't. You just care about making mom happy since that's what she wants. All these while she hasn't been there and now she comes back to make things difficult for me. I won't take that".

  "KEILA!", Alex growled and she flinched, he didn't use that tone on her once.

  "Listen to yourself. Shouldn't you be ashamed. If at all I'm not trying to make your mom happy, can't you think of making me happy too. All these years, I've stood by you and I've still been there for you. I never ask you for anything but was happy to be the pillar you needed to stand. It's my responsibility I get, but I didn't fail. You're my only child and daughter and still you never think you need to make me happy. Now, you're busy and you visit when you can. I don't complain because I understand. Why then wouldn't you give me grandchildren to care for also?. I'm not young anymore and I want grandchildren from you while I'm still agile and not when I'm fragile".

  "I would do what you want but then it has to be by my own time ", she answered tears beginning to cloud her eyes.

  "That's selfish, your own time. Take a look at your best friend", Alex said pointing outside as if it would explain what he meant.

  "That was her own perfect time. We are different, dad. Please", she said hoping he would take the hint and leave.

  "Fine, whether or not you need your time, you have less than three months Keila, or else let me do what I want to".

  "Anyhow, if I'm not happy, just know you are the cause".

  "Just give me a grandchild and your mother, even if it's from your enemy and I promise you can always be happy after that".

  She let her head on her desk and sobbed gently till her father left. She was miserable and it was then again she couldn't escape thinking about Hayden. They had been fine and she missed a step, just for her world to come crashing

  She couldn't deny that she believed Lexy when she told her Hayden wasn't cheating on her and that his best friend meant nothing. She needed to strike, his mom out of the picture.

*****

Gat nothing really to say, if you saw this, thanks for reading this far.
Few chapters to go😊

Kaptaine Babbitt ❤️