Chapter 1

"Yeah, it's pretty fucked up here. I mean, they are arguing again. It hasn't even been twenty-four hours. I just locked myself up in the room and put some headphones on. You might want to stay out or crash somewhere else. This is exhausting!" Rose spoke and with the sound of her voice, I could tell she was rolling her eyes in frustration.

"Thanks for informing me. I might consider sleeping elsewhere." I quickly replied to her while watching my steps as I headed downstairs and into the subway. It was middle of the night and my shift had just ended twenty minutes ago.

I didn't have the energy to bear my parents arguments and worry about my poor little sister's mental health.

"Take me to!" She exclaimed.

"Not tonight. I'll take you on the weekend for sleepover at Faye's. Just get some sleep and if you don't, call me and don't listen to them arguing. Please." I told her while pacing forward and quickly reaching the station before the train could arrive. There was still plenty of time left but I wanted to be away from everything, therefore, the silent subway.

At this time of the night, there was no one in the subway, literally no one. The last train was going to leave at sharp one and after that, the station was going to be closed until later.

I spoke with Rose for another minute, settling her panic down before ending the call. As soon as the call ended, I put on my earphones and sat on one of the benches while waiting for the train to arrive.

When I glanced up at the monitor, I found still a couple of minutes remaining, eight to be exact. Hmmph. I scrolled through the pictures Faye had send me of the party she had thrown last weekend. I was in some of the pictures, a little drunk and posing with myself only.

The song blasted in my ears until I felt the ground underneath my feet tremble. My eyes suddenly clicked away from the phone and I looked up. Upon finding nothing, I glanced over my shoulders and then a little sound appeared from nowhere.

I assumed it was the song playing in my ears but then I pulled my noise-cancellation headphones down and the sound became greater.

My brows furrowed.

A grumble.

A very loud grumble that echoed across the subway station. Slowly, I switched off my phone and pulled my headphones down from my shoulders before lifting myself off from the bench.

When I looked at the time, it was almost one but there wasn't any sound of the train arriving. Another loud thud echoed and I flinched at the sound of it.

Suddenly, I heard several men arguing in a language I couldn't understand. My ears perked and I began following the voices to the back of the waiting area where there was a long white door that led inside a small office room. The room was near the staircase and the escalator. It was usually locked but not today.

My head filled with curiosity. The voices filled up the silence in the subway station. I tucked in all my loose belongings into the bag before grabbing the handle of the room and opening it a little.

Just as I opened it, I heard another loud thud as if someone was just thrown across the room. I heard a couple groans and grumbles before someone spoke in Italian or German. I wasn't sure.

"Non scopare con me, cagna!" The man yelled in a very thick accent but his voice quickly changed when he spoke to someone else. "Are you going to fucking kill him? Or should I rip out his cranio?"

Oh shit.

I let out a quick gasp before turning away from the door and pressing my back against the wall besides the door. My breathing raced. Hair rose over my skin and I swallowed down hard. It had been the first time in twenty years that I had actually seen someone fight in the subway station, in the middle of the night, almost when it was going to close.