Chapter 43

It was the third time I found myself stranded here. Once more and it would feel like it was meant to be. I no longer could blame my bad-decision making for this. If I had any clue Christopher was a murderer, I wouldn't have dared to step in his home but here I was, yet again.

A woman walked inside the bedroom moments later and cleaned up the broken glass before wetting the floor and mopping it. I stood by another wall, my hands folded across my chest as I watched her clean and then leave.

A cry for help wasn't going to exactly help me in this situation.

What would I even say?

Christopher stood on the other side of the room, attending a call and gawking at me carefully, watching my every move. The door was wide open. I could run but I knew myself and my legs wouldn't make that far, especially for the second time.

The last time, his younger brother, Pietro, had helped me out of here and this time, I doubt he would even look at me.

Christopher followed the woman as she left the room. He locked the door behind her and tossed the key into his pocket, where I couldn't reach—yet again.

A disgust expression remained tightened over my features. I didn't budge. I had seen someone commit a literal murder and the reasonings didn't matter. It was what it was.

I grimaced as he approached me. The corners of his mouth lifted into a smirk as if he was enjoying all of this. I barely met with his eyes. He lifted his hand, placing his on the wall behind me while he leaned in closer, "Don't look at me like that, Ciccio."

I snapped my head around, "Like a murderer?"

"Like I'm something evil." There wasn't much difference.

"Well, that's because you are!" I exclaimed in bewilderment. How could someone kill and not know they were evil?

"You wouldn't have come here then." He argued back, as if it was going to change the hatred I held within myself for him.

I pushed my head back against the wall and suppressed a groan that nearly escaped my mouth, "I made a mistake." I whispered with my teeth clenched.

His nostrils flared a little, eyes burned into my soul. He leaned even closer."You know what I am, Rebekah. You know well. Don't act as if you were clueless. You saw me at the station, you know what I had done then and yet you came here. You came back, over and over again. And you were quite willing to take that money in seconds. What makes you think it wasn't blood money? What makes you think you're innocent? And even after everything you know, you gave yourself to me. You're not quite above me or squeaky clean."

In a swift moment, I pushed him back away from me and when he didn't budge, I moved myself from the wall. When out of his suffocating trap, I finally was able to breathe.

But even then, his words burned in my head. "I'm not going to stroke your ego—"

"I don't need you to," He turned away from the wall, and faced me. "Accept the fact that you knew everything."

"I didn't know you were a murderer!" I exclaimed, my mind running wild. He was right in certain things, about the fact that a part of me knew what he was and what he did—that he was involved in some violence and crime but not murders.

"I'm not a murderer. I didn't kill in cold blood," He snapped, his eyes darkening as I furthered fueled his anger. There was a long silence in which he took a deep breath and killed his anger. "There was a reason why I killed him and you're not going to understand that because you don't live in my world."

"I don't even want to." I snorted at that.

I wasn't sure what I even wanted at this point. I was engulfed with both terrible and terrifying thoughts of the man that stood in front of me yet there wasn't an ounce of fear within me, instead, there was something else, something I felt disgusted about. How could I still want a man like Christopher? How was it even possible? I had accepted the fact he was an werewolf, a different creature than us humans, that could turn into a wolf whenever he wanted and I made peace with it.

It didn't terrify me.

But I couldn't make peace with the fact he was a murderer.

"Halloween night, I told you to leave and I had Micheal follow you home. It was abrupt, I didn't want you to leave but if you stayed, you would've been taken as sacrificial lamb and not by me." He shot be a tense look.

I drew my brows together, and in unease, lines appeared in my forehead, "Who?"

"A group of witches. They are unrepentant and powerful witches," He didn't step forward toward me and invaded my space, rather, he kept a distance and continued, "And they want you, for a sacrifice probably. I'm not sure about the exact details. But it's my mate they require. On Halloween night, they were there and they would've taken you unless I hadn't forced you to leave. And that man I had killed was the one who fed those witches information about you."

I lined my lips firm in irritation and then gave my head a light shake, "You're lying."

He scrambled forward, his gaze intense, "Why would I lie to you, Rebekah?" He cocked a brow at me and asked. "If I had let that man live, he would've fed more information to the witches and it wouldn't bring any harm to me. The information he had given them was about you, your whereabouts, your family, your work, your life—not mine. I was—I am protecting you."

Horror washed over my face. The strangest and the darkest thoughts appeared in my head and haunted me as I made sense of his words.

After a moment of silence, anger bit into my thoughts and I stated, "I wouldn't needed protection if it weren't for you!"

"It doesn't matter."

"You put my life at risk and now, you're acting as if you're the one saving it," I scoffed and wavered a hand in the air. "I'm done playing your game. I don't need your protection or you. I'm leaving." I whispered before marching toward the door.

He grimaced, "It's not like that, Rebekah." He grabbed my elbow, dragging me farther away from the door that was locked. "It doesn't matter if I'm in your life or not, if I had ever found you or not because you're fucked mated to me and that's fucking destiny. The witches would've found you either way and they would've used you for one of their sacrifices."

"No." I said, firmly.

"Yes." His hand tightened around my elbow and in that moment, I wondered if he was telling me all this to force me to stay or whether if it was the actual truth. "You're a human and my mate. To them—to us, that is not normal."

"Good. I don't care. I'm still leaving." I ran my fingernails down his hand till it parted away from my elbow and I grew free from his hold. "Your world, your mess—not mine. Handle it and leave me alone."

Read the full book on my Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr or on Amazon: https://a.co/d/g3s9ZEb