Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Rebekah

The newspapers were splayed all over the table while there was a cup of warm coffee beside it. I quickly ran my glance over the jobs and circled a few of them that were to my interest. The night had passed by in ease and while there were worries in my head, one was gone.

Faye had called me late last night, telling me that her cousin had given the wallet back to the man I had stolen from and all was well.

I was relieved finally.

"It's too early to find jobs!" Rose jumped down from the stairs with her backpack. She ran over me to me, looking at what I was doing and then sat on the chair beside mine. "Did you find anything?"

I remained focused and shook my head, "Nothing good." It was true, there was nothing good in the newspaper today. Most of the jobs were old and ones that I had already rejected.

Raising my head, I glanced at my little sister and offered the omelet I had made for myself. "Here, have some."

She finished it up quick, in a couple of minutes, right before my Mom came out of her bedroom. She was all dressed in her office clothes, ready to head to work and drop Rose off to her school.

When they left, it became dead silent in the house. Dad was still asleep. He had pulled an all-nighter at the gas station, working for the entire night and he wasn't going to wake up anytime soon.

Things were still tight.

Debt collection agencies were filling our mailbox day and night. Mom was getting endless calls, forcing her to do the payments even though we truly had nothing. Making end meets was difficult as it was.

I stayed at home the entire morning, cold-calling and searching for something for this month. It was impossible to get my old job at the cafe as Mr. Anderson, my manager was the definition of a bitch. He would die a thousand times before hiring me again. I literally walked on egg shells around him the entire time I worked at the cafe.

It was a relief to know that I didn't have to do it anymore but I needed to do something.

I pressed my shoulders against the window of my bedroom and relaxed for a minute after spending hours doing absolutely nothing but searching for a job. The sound of an engine raving followed into my ears and my eyes struck wide open. Glancing outside from the window, I found a black sedan parked at the entrance of my house.

With a little grunt, I rose up and rushed downstairs with only my phone in my hands.

I quickly grabbed a jacket and walked outside before opening the door to Faye's car and sitting in.

"Don't you have classes?" I asked her with one of my brows cocked at her appearance. It was afternoon and I remembered that her classes didn't finish until later at four.

"I do but I skipped. I knew you'd be home alone and I don't like leaving my bestie alone." She shot me a wink before driving away from my house and heading toward her own.

"I just need to find a new job." I pursued my lips and looked out of the car window, staring at the houses passing by.

"And you will. Stop stressing about it!" She exclaimed.

Faye and I were quite different people. To begin with, she was a red head while I was a blonde. Her family was rich, brimming with money and she was getting a degree in law whilst I was doing small jobs, trying to make ends meet. I hadn't even thought about going to college. The moment I left high-school, I started working at small restaurants and cafes while my Dad was getting his cancer treatment. It was just last year and he had been cancer free for only six months till now.

Somehow, even after everything, Faye and I were best friends and it was the only relationship I cherished the most. Without her, I would've been the loneliest person in the world.

"I heard about this opening at one of the grand hotels. It is a waitressing job if you'd like it." She begin and my head snapped at her direction. "I know the manager so I could get it for you."

"Yes, please." I begged, hands clasped.

"But the hours are quite long."

"It's fine. I'll manage. I just need something better than my old one." I didn't care about anything except for the money.

"Fine," She glanced and smiled at me. "You'll get it. Don't worry."

That was settled.

When Faye drove me to her home, I found something odd in the air. It wasn't often that we went to her home at this time of the day. She preferred blowing up her Dad's card at shopping malls instead of staying low-key inside her bedroom.

She parked the car near at her driveway and hopped out. I followed her into her beautiful two storey villa near to the beach and we headed straight up to her bedroom.

"You seem fishy. What's up?" I asked her as I stepped up on the spiral staircase that led into her bedroom.

"Nothing..." She looked ahead, not making any eye-contact with me. When she began scurrying up the stairs I instantly figured out something was wrong. I followed her into her bedroom, waiting for her to drop whatever bomb she was holding within herself. "Fine. I wanted to talk to you about something."

Her bed bounced as I jumped on it, "What?"

Faye stood in front of me, fiddling with her fingers while her eyes went back and forth. Worry was smeared across her face and it was quite visible.

"What is it?" I asked again, my smile fading as I silently hoped it wasn't what I thought it would be.

She cleared her throat and said, "He wants to see you."

"What?" I laughed a little, unable to make sense of her words. "Who?" My lashes fluttered and for a moment, I forget about everything that happened yesterday.

Faye gestured with her eyes, forcing me to remember about the man I had stolen from. "He wants to see you." She repeated.

"No." I stated. "No way!" My eyes widened a little in disbelief.

"Alicia spoke to him yesterday and she returned the wallet but he told her to arrange a meeting with you." She explained to me but it still didn't make any sense.

I jumped up from the bed while rubbing my sore forehead. Why? "I gave the wallet back. So, why? What does he want? I even apologized even though he should've been the one apologizing to me for breaking into Adam's apartment and threatening both him and me." My voice rose louder than ever and I felt a ball of rage folding inside me.

I thought the chapter was closed.

"Bek, listen, it's just for a while and he'll let you go. He doesn't wants to hurt you. He simply wants to see you." Faye tried to convince me but none of it was going to work because I didn't want to see him or even be in the same room as him.

"No, I don't want to see him!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air.

Faye fell quiet and she nodded her head, taking in my decision. "I'll tell Alicia that you denied and she'll tell him."

I placed my hand over my hip, shaking my head. Why would he want to see me again? Did he want to threaten me? Or maybe kill me this time? I blew out a breath and looked away, considering to see him once more as I didn't want to danger myself. Maybe he'd appear at my home next time. It was possible for that man to figure out Adam's location, he could figure out where I lived and barge into my house.

"No, wait. I'll see him." I stopped Faye from calling her cousin. My lips twitched and I continued, "But I'm going to take a knife with me and it's going to be somewhere in public or else I'm not going."

"Okay," Faye sighed and texted her cousin from her phone. "I don't understand why but I think he wants to talk to you about something. Alicia didn't tell me much." She shrugged.

I heard a little ting that meant she had sent the message and it was received.

I sank back into the bed, splaying my arms over it while my eyes stared up at the golden light shining on my face. "Can't wait!"

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr