Chapter 42

My eyes peeled open, and a gasp left my mouth.

It only took me a second to remember what I had just seen outside in the courtyard and what his driver had done to me, again. I didn't move much, only looked around and figured out where I was.

In his bedroom.

I sensed him inside the washroom, cleaning the blood off his hands, which meant it hadn't been a long while, probably just a few minutes or maybe an hour. I didn't know. The water kept running and running. I drew my hand away from the pillow and slowly rose from the bed. I needed to run, as fast as I could, and as far away from him as possible.

I couldn't have him chase me, not again.

Not this time.

My legs fell to the ground and my heart pounded faster in my chest. The door to the washroom was wide open and from a distance, I saw his shadow. The tap water continued to run. He was just cleaning his hands, not showering.

I slowly stood from the bed and my gaze traveled over the room where I found two large windows opposite each other. I didn't care. I wanted to leave him, and it didn't matter if I jumped from a window and broke a few bones rather than dying entirely from his murderous hands.

Not only he was evil, but he was a killer—a murderer.

At the subway station, I wasn't sure if Christopher had killed that man inside the room but now, I was certain he had killed him—and probably many more.

I was next.

The tap water stopped running and it became deadly silent inside the room. I held my breaths back and stood idle beside the bed as he walked out of the washroom with a hand towel in his grip.

"Oh, you're awake." He stepped forward and tossed the towel aside.

I stared at him in disbelief and my gaze ran over the blood spots on his shirt, his pants, and even some on his arms. His hands were clean but the rest of him was soaked in someone's blood. I swallowed hard as panic raced through me. My chest pumped furiously, I tried to breathe but it was difficult.

I stood on the other side of the bed, still far away from him. Before he got any closer, I screamed for help and backed away from him. My back pressed against one of the four corners inside the bedroom, and I slowly leaned in and wrapped my hand around the glass vase while killing the screams in my throat.

"Let me get out of here," I said, my voice trembling and bile growing in the back of my throat, making every breath difficult.

"If you keep acting like that, you're definitely not leaving," he replied, frustrated. "I didn't know you were coming or else I would take my matters elsewhere. What you think happened is not what happened. I didn't kill that man for no reason. There was a reason and I'll tell you that if you can calm yourself," he explained—explained a murder he'd committed—and then stepped forward.

Fear jolted inside me, and I clenched the vase harder before slamming it against the wall and shattering it into a hundred pieces of glass. One big, sharp shard remained in my hand while others spilled on the ground beneath me, creating a loud clatter that echoed for only a few seconds before disappearing.

I didn't know how to fight—I never did learn and there was probably a greater chance of dying here then getting out alive, but I didn't care. I was going to do whatever it took to leave here unharmed.

Christopher stopped in his steps and raised both hands. "I'm not going to fucking hurt you, Rebekah. You know that."

I took a few quick breaths before raising my own hand toward him. "Then let me leave," I whispered.

He didn't listen, instead he stepped closer, and I pressed myself against the wall as my chest rose and dropped. Fear engulfed me from all sides. The hair over my skin rose. Terror spread through my body like never before. My heart ached and my body trembled.

"Don't," I snapped, curling my fingers tighter around the top piece of the vase that was in my hands. My pulse quickened as he continued to near me, taking steady steps forward.

"It won't do anything to me. You're only going to hurt yourself." He reminded me of the power and the inhumane strength he held.

I clenched my teeth and said, "Good. You'll have more blood to clean then."

He stepped onto the broken glass, and it crushed underneath his shoes. Before I even had the chance to swing the piece of vase in my hand, he quickly jumped in and grabbed my wrist, pushing it up to the wall while his other hand wrapped around my free one.

"Give it to me," he snapped, his gaze seizing mine while he forced my fingers to unwrap around the piece of the vase. As soon as he got a hold of it, he pulled it away and tossed it on the ground with the rest of the broken glass.

My skin crawled and I swallowed hard. I lowered my gaze while struggling to free myself from him but stopped upon realizing I wouldn't be able to escape, not now, not today, and probably not ever.

"I don't kill for fun, Rebekah. I had a goddamn reason—"

"I don't want to know. I just want to leave." I cut him off while looking away from him. He cornered me with his body and trapped me.

"You're going to listen. Look at me." He slipped his fingers underneath my chin, forcing me to turn my face and meet his threatening, murderous eyes. "I had to kill that man. I've a fucking city to run and the minute something goes wrong, it's either my head or someone else's. I'd rather it be someone else's than mine." His voice was filled with anger when he spoke, matching his furious expression.

I turned my face away from him and remained silent. I didn't care whatever reason he had to kill someone, it was wrong—terribly wrong—and I didn't want to associate myself with someone who killed and then had his driver lull me into sleep every time I tried to run away from him.

He watched my face and when I gave him no response, he continued, "I'm sorry you had to see that but you're not stepping out of here until you can fucking talk to me. So, make yourself comfortable." His grip around my wrists loosened and soon, his hands parted, freeing me, even if it was just for a moment.

I stepped aside from the wall and away from the broken glass in the corner. He walked over to the other side of the room and with a grunt, he grabbed his phone and called someone.

I ran my tongue over my lips before pursing my mouth shut.

"Send Claudia up here. There is broken glass." I heard him say to someone on the phone before he cut the call and tossed his phone on the desk. Once he was done, he turned to me and said, "Don't run away from here—from me, Rebekah. You'll not make it far. I'll chase you for however long it takes. You came here yourself. You want me. It's better if you accept your destiny with me."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr or on Amazon https://a.co/d/dRd2wN2