Chapter 66

Rebekah

"Christopher!"

I screamed his name through the house while searching for him. Shoving every door open, I still couldn't find him. He had to be somewhere around here. Just as I stepped out of the kitchen, I heard several groans echoing in the silence.

My eyes clicked to the closed library down the hall where the voice had come from. Opening the large doors, I invited myself into the library and held back my gasp when I saw Christopher standing above a man whose blood was smeared on the wooden flooring beneath.

"I thought you promised me you wouldn't kill anyone." My hands folded across my chest as I took a step forward.

He tore his eyes away from the injured man and glanced at me. "Aren't you early?" The taut expression on his face explained everything and it wasn't a surprise anymore.

There was something threatening about his demeanor today as he shifted above the man whose hands were splayed as he bled further. I couldn't see the wounds on his body as he was clothed but there was a deep wound on his neck, almost resembling claw marks.

God.

I looked away instantly and my eyes searched for Christopher's as I reached closer to him. "You're breaking a promise."

"And you're disturbing me. Go home," he whispered while wiping his bloody hands down his shirt and trying to clean them. He was so focused on the man beneath him that he barely even looked at me.

I furrowed my brows and blocked his view by standing in front of him. "Can you take care of this later?" I asked, and he straightened himself. "I've missed you."

As soon as he heard the words leaving my mouth, his expression changed. Eyes hooked into mine. A chill ran down my spine as he smiled.

"Is that so?"

"Yes." I let his arms snake around my waist while my hand pressed against his chest. My gaze lowered to his lips and my skin tinged. "I've missed you the whole night and I couldn't bear another minute away from you."

All his attention parted from the wounded man who continued to bleed just beside us. I tried not to think of him, either. Christopher smiled even more while his fingers dug into my back. My lips parted as I reached closer to his mouth and ran my hand through his hair, ruffling it a little bit.

"Would it be a stretch if I asked for you to kill this one later?" I asked in a low whisper while battling with my own desires that formed upon seeing him. I felt something deep for Christopher, and no matter what I did or where I went, it wasn't going to go away.

"Anything for you."

My fingers trembled around his hair as he leaned in, covering his mouth with mine. His big, warm hand wrapped around my face. The tension between us grew tight. My heart raced as I pulled him away from the library and took him upstairs while nearly forgetting about the man he had almost killed.

He groaned behind us as we left him bleeding. There was truly nothing more I could do than this. I couldn't interfere with Christopher's work.

"If I knew you were going to miss me this much, I wouldn't have let you go." The corner of his mouth lifted into a grin as I pushed him back into the chair next to the window inside his room.

There was something I couldn't understand. The sudden switch in his behavior. It was the same yesterday morning when he was yearning for me. He spoke to Pietro as if he felt threatened by his own brother's presence.