Chapter 68

Christopher

"I love you," she said, and it was the first time I had ever heard those words. Those words that contained something to weaken me. Those words I had never heard before, never heard coming from a woman, coming from Rebekah.

My heartbeat slowed. I pursed my lips and waited for her to continue.

"And I know this isn't you. You're a man with pride and violence but you're also a man with devotion—to me, to your family, to your people. You would never want to betray anyone, and I know that." She pressed her hand against my chest, fingers splayed as I listened to her. "I rebelled, you chased, but you won. I'm yours. I accept every form of you, every part of you. If you want to become cruel, so be it, but don't turn away from me."

I cleared my throat and turned my head away, tearing away from the forceful gaze I held with hers. "You don't know what you're saying," I whispered, under my breath.

She placed her hand on the side of my cheek, turning me back to her. I saw nothing other than than honesty and truth in her eyes when she uttered the same three words again.

"I know what I'm saying, Christopher. I love you and that's not going to change. Never." She pulled me closer to her and like a succubus, I delved into her charm.

A smile curled on my face.

She loved me—she loved us.

What more could I ever want?

Her confession was more than enough to rattle me. It was everything I had ever dreamt of—her acceptance. Her.

"If you still want to continue with your plan with Selene, so be it. Do it. It's not going to change my feelings." She trailed her hand down over my neck and to my chest where my heart thudded at her words.

For the first time, I was at loss, confused. I didn't know what to say. No woman had ever claimed to love me. I hadn't been this close to a woman before.

I admired her for a long moment. Tucking the pieces of hair away from her face, I leaned closer and pressed my mouth against hers. She was warm, loving. I needed her. I had her. Nothing was going to change that. Her words repeated in my head like a sweet melody.

I melted.

She kissed me back, softly and gently. I felt her warmth. Her body melting into mine, her heart pounding roughly against mine. I felt all of her in those few seconds.

When my lips parted, I knew what needed to be done.

"Stay here." I jumped back to my feet. "Don't go anywhere. Wait for me. I'll come back." I grabbed a shirt and buttoned it up quickly before clothing the rest of me and leaving the room.

Just before I left, I stopped in my tracks and turned around, glancing at her one last time. She sat against the headboard, a smile on her face, a smile I didn't want to dare play with.

I needed her just like this.

I closed the door behind me and left the house as quickly as possible. I had to find Selene, and the other witches. I had to force her to leave. It was only in a moment of weakness that I had let them stay here and in the tunnels. I wouldn't have ever if I was in control.

Now I was.

"Seems like you don't have to go anywhere." Pietro stepped out of the car and stood on the driveway, interrupting me just moments before I could leave.

There were several other cars on the driveway, windows blacked out. My cars. The cars I had given to the witches—to Selene and her sisters. She stepped out from one of vehicles with a familiar face behind her.

"I thought we had a deal, Christopher. But your wolves ran us out of the tunnels and it wasn't a pretty sight," she whined, standing inches away from me.

I heaved in a breath and watched my brother, waiting for something. Beside him stood Michael and my second in command, Walter, along with a few other pack wolves. They waited for me, for my command.

The whole city wanted to be in my control, willing. They looked at me as a leader and I was nearly about to throw all that away for some power and protection from the witches.

"We don't have any deal," I stated, stepping forward. "And I don't want your protection or any of the power you've promised. I've enough on my own."

"You have lost your mind. Yet again," she hissed, staring up at me as her fingernails turned black.

"I've not lost anything, but you need to get lost. You've no clue what I'm capable of now that I have my wolf—"

"A wolf you can't control, a wolf with its own mindset. You need me, Christopher!" she continued, her teeth clenched.

I shook my head. "A wolf that submits to his mate."

"That cannot be true." She scoffed while her eyes widened a little as she came to terms with what I'd told her. When the words penetrated through her head, color drained from her face. "That's not true."

"It is." I folded my arms across my chest. "And now you need to leave. I've got my wolf, I've got a mate and I've got my pack. Do you know the ways I can ruin your existence if you do not leave my land? There are a few hundred. I'd rather not mention them. A little gory."

"This is not the end, Christopher. I'll return. Your wolf will become mine!" she snapped, fisting her hands before leaving with the other witches.

Just as she left the driveway, Pietro approached me, his arms splayed as if he was going to embrace me.

"I knew you'd return, Brother!"

The side of my lip curled as I stepped away from him before he could wrap his arms around me. "Get out of my face," I said through gritted teeth. Nothing in this world was going to ever make me like my little brother.

Nothing.

I rushed back upstairs knowing I had kept Rebekah waiting for too long. If there was one thing I knew about her, she didn't like waiting—at all.

It was now or never for her.