Chapter 15

"I can talk to whoever I wish and Adam was my boyfriend. Why should I stop seeing him?" I raised my hands in frustration and furrowed my brows together as Faye drove her mustang back to my home.

"Emphasis on was." She clarified, holding the steering wheel losing between her fingers.

I gave her a deadly look and lined my lips straight, "Really?"

"Come on. We both know that Adam was toxic and a terrible boyfriend. I have been trying to stop you from going there every day and night. I hated him then and I hate him now. It's not going to hurt you if you stop seeing him." She said, her voice loud and clear while her words were throwing shade. It wasn't the first time she had begged me to stop seeing Adam. During our entire relationship, she tried hard to show me the red flags that I couldn't see.

I avoided them all together and still fell for Adam. My love for him was great even though he was a terrible boyfriend who had slept with another girl. I even went ahead and forgave him for that. Nothing truly mattered because I was attached to him and the comfort he gave me.

I shook my head. It made no sense to stop seeing Adam. "It's my wish, Faye. If I want to see him, I will and if I don't, I won't." I stated.

She sighed and nodded her head, "Alright."

After just a couple of minutes, she pulled near to the driveway of my house and parked the car. I gave my goodbyes and left while grabbing my bag from the backseat and stuffing the knife I had taken with myself inside. It was hurting me to keep it in my sleeve for another minute more.

"Goodbye. I'll see you soon!" She waved her hand while rolling her windows up and driving away.

"Goodbye." I smiled back at her and once her car was out of the street, I turned and went into my house.

It took me a moment to find my keys inside the bag but once I found them, I opened the door and stepped in. Immediately, I clashed with Mom who was reaching to open the door as well.

"You're early today." She had a questioning look on her face.

"Yeah..." I trailed off. "I was just looking at some jobs and sorting things." None of what had happened over the past week had been repeated to Mom. I didn't want to tell her anything nor have her worry about me.

She had enough on her plate.

"Adam came by," She followed me into the living room and said. "He dropped off a couple of things of yours." She added.

My eyes turned quickly and my heart jumped a beat. What things? Mom directed her gaze to the box on the side of the room labelled with my name. My brows furrowed and I opened up the box to find a couple of my clothes, my bags and a few more things that I had left in his apartment all this while we had been seeing each other.

"Did he say anything?" I asked Mom.

She shook her head, "No. I thought you two were broken up."

I stared at my clothes for a long minute before nodding my head, "Yes—we still are." It had been confusing. I didn't want to date Adam after what he had done but I still wanted to be comforted and loved by him. We were in a very casual relation that was no one's business.

I kneeled down and picked up the box, carrying it upstairs to my room while a couple thoughts ran across my head. Why had he dropped off these things now? Did that mean we were done, done?

I placed the box on the side of my bedroom and dialed Adam's number. He picked up my call after a few rings and said, "Hey!"

"Hey. Adam. I just came home and Mom told me about the box you dropped off." I said while placing a hand over my hip and pacing around my room.