Chapter 13

The next evening, Faye picked me up from the house and drove me to the subway station in her mustang. It was around eight and everything in my body was trembling with fear of the unknown—of the man I was going to meet. Why me? I thought hard, came up with several assumptions to why this arrangement was taking place but none of them made sense as I had returned the wallet and I wanted to go my way.

"Don't be scared," Faye whispered to me as she glanced me from the corner of her eyes.

"I'm meeting with someone who assaulted me, broke into my ex-boyfriend's house and threatened him along with me," I paused to take a sharp breath. "I'm definitely scared!"

I turned my head back to the window, watching the tall building flash by me. We were meeting at the station, as I wanted since there were going to be people surrounding me at all times. He couldn't hurt me, even if he wanted to and whatever civil conversation we were going to have, we would.

"Well, that's does make sense..." She trailed off before slamming her brakes near the entrance of the subway station.

"Do you know this guy?" I asked her as she rolled back her car and parked.

"Yes. I told you, I've known him for quite a long time, not personally, though but my cousin knows him personally." She responded but removing her keys and cutting off the ignition.

I took another sharp breath. "And?"

She stepped out of the car and came over to my side. I opened the passenger door, my one leg hovered out of the car while the rest of my body forced to stay in. I didn't want to see him, not again.

"And there is nothing to be scared of because Alicia is here." Faye directed my attention to the car parked in front of us.

The pregnant cousin stepped out, holding her belly while a smile spread across her face. She waved her hand at Faye and I and I smiled back at her. The creases of worry were clear in my face and it didn't matter how much makeup I applied, it was still visible.

I was terrified.

"How are you feeling?" Alicia asked, walking over to me. She held an umbrella over her head, avoiding herself from getting wet as it was pouring a little.

"Negative."

"Come on," She offered her hand and I took it before stepping out of the car and going along with her into the subway station. "That man needs to figure something out and he can only do it if he sees you again." She said, holding my arm tight.

Faye, my best friend, was a few meters away from us. We took the stairs and went down, underground.

"Figure what out?" I asked Alicia with a strained voice.

"Just something. I can't tell you now but I hope you'll know soon. And don't be scared. That man can barely harm anyone." She scoffed and shook her head.

I froze on my steps, "He nearly killed a man in front of me. I watched it." I told her about the night in the station where I had watched him beat up a man till he was bleeding and he had no intentions to stop until I interrupted him.

Till today I wondered if that man survived.

"Oh..." Alicia wasn't suprised. It seemed like she was trying to make me feel better about this all but I had seen what I had seen and my judgement was correct. "Well, he does has a little bit of anger." She shrugged and we strolled past the crowd leaving the station. "But don't worry, he wouldn't hurt you."

I doubted that.

The station was packed, just as I expected it to be. My boots were soaked in rain water by the time I reached downstairs. Alicia closed her umbrella and Faye came forward, pressing my shoulders hard, soothing my tensions.

My eyes wandered all over the station, I saw faces—hundred's of them and then I saw him, standing the same room where he had nearly murdered someone. It was the technical room of the station and was usually locked but somehow, that man had the key to it. It made me wonder a lot more about other things.

My heart thumped hard and fast. Hair rose over my skin and a hot breath flew from my throat when his eyes dulled into mine. There was something hidden behind them but I couldn't see anything beyond the violence and devilry. Just beside him, there was another man, the younger one—his brother as I had assumed. He seemed less threatening but his eyes shared the devilry as well.

There was no one else, just him and his brother, waiting for me. I no longer felt as scared as I was earlier. Seeing his men, suited and with sharp weapons in his hold while they were in Adam's house scarred me for life.

I couldn't see beyond that.

"We will be here, Rebekah." Faye whispered to me as we approached them.

It somehow relieving that they were a hundred passengers getting in and out of the subway. He couldn't possibly attack me in front of the public.

I moved one arm to my back, and the knife I had sown to my sleeve pressed against my skin. It didn't matter how safe this all was. I couldn't get comfortable unless I had a knife or some sort of weapon with me. Faye nor Alicia were aware of what I was carrying with myself and I didn't want to tell him either.

When near, he walked straight toward me, inching a lot closer than I expected. Alicia quickly stepped in and stretched out her arm, stopping him from getting any closer.

"Be nice." She said in a low, warning tone.

"Fine." He grunted, and walked away from me, heading toward the technical room in the station. It was loud, and I wasn't able to hear much except for people chattering and footsteps rushing in and out of the station. He opened the door and held it for me, "Please?"

My fingers tightened around my phone and I headed into the room, the same room where I had watched someone nearly die—or die. The walls were re-painted and the blood was gone. It seemed like no one had been in here for a while.

The man stepped into the room and the door closed behind him. Alicia and Faye both remained outside and just when I realizeed that, I headed straight to the door to leave. I couldn't be alone with this man. I didn't want to be.

His large frame towered mine and he grabbed my hands before I could reach for the door. Instead of taking steps forward, I took steps back as my heart thudded hard in my chest and my throat began closing up. Raising my head, I looked into his eyes that were filled with mischief. The corner of his mouth turned into a grin before he wrapped his hands around my elbows tighter.

"I'm not going to hurt you." He bent his head slightly forward, and the words he spoke didn't exactly match with his actions. "But you have seen what I can do, right?" He asked.

I nodded and swallowed hard.

"Then be a good girl and sit." He instructed while guiding me back to the chair near the scrappy monitors.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr