Chapter 64

I stared out of the window with a warm cup of coffee wrapped around my fingers. The view from this side of my dad's house was breathtaking. I hadn't had the chance to view it in the morning, but I knew I was going to be surprised when the sun began rising.

"How is it here?" I turned to him and asked as he walked in.

It was a small cozy room with a fireplace on the other wall by the window. I had gone through the house and according to Dad, it was an old family home where he sometimes spent time with his brothers when they were all younger. A lot of memories surfaced when he came here. There were dozens of pictures of him and his brothers inside the house.

"It's wonderful." The smile never washed off his face. He took a seat beside me and sat down. "I believe this was all I needed after everything. The city life was too quick for an old man like me."

I pouted. "You're not old, Dad."

"I'm certainly getting there." He trailed off with a chuckle and we both looked outside.

It was quiet here, serene, peaceful compared to where I had just come from. The pain in my head had finally gone after hours and hours. My thoughts came to a halt when I reached here. There was no time to ponder—not yet.

"How's Rose doing?"

"Oh, she's doing good. She really wanted to come but school and the classes after that. It would've been a lot of trouble if I had bought her along with me," I continued while turning my head to him and catching a glimpse of the unhappiness in his eyes. "Don't worry, Dad. I'll get her on the weekend, and we can all spend time together."

It was difficult being alone. Dad did have his brothers, my uncles, but even then, a part of him missed us—all of us. He had spent half of his adult life in the city, with Mom and us before he was driven to bed because of cancer. Just as he'd healed, he became all alone and went far away.

"It's alright. I'm just happy you're here. Nothing else matters." He looped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his tight embrace.

I clutched the coffee with my dear life, hoping it wouldn't spill. My lungs begged for air. A sudden urge rose in my throat, and I quickly moved away from my dad. Standing up, I placed the cup on the table and rushed into the nearest bathroom. The pain in my stomach spread. I pushed my hair back over my shoulders and gagged before spilling the meal I'd eaten earlier into the sink.

I coughed a few times while the running water cleared the sink.

"Fuck," I whispered to myself as the back of my hand wiped my mouth clean.

Just when I thought everything was getting better. It was getting worse, and it wasn't something I could keep to myself.

I grabbed the towel from the back of the door and dried my mouth before heading back outside. Dad had shifted his position and concern spread all over his face as he rose a questioning brow at me.

"Everything okay? Are you sick?"

I shook my head and sat back down. The sickening taste remained in my mouth for a long minute until I washed it away with coffee, which made it somewhat better.

"Yes. It's just my stomach. Must've eaten something bad when I was out earlier." My voice cracked a little as I responded.

"Are you sure?" he repeated, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I nodded and leaned in to take another sip of the coffee while my thoughts raced. I had seen the results of the test. I was certainly pregnant. But who could I tell? I couldn't tell Christopher as he was unbothered with anything in regard to me and he had his own agenda to deal with. Anyone else, Dad and Mom, they were both uninformed about my relationship with a werewolf. Telling them anything was going to raise flags.

Unless...

Dad and I stepped out of the house and sat on the porch as it got a bit too warm inside. I sat on the wooden swing, which seemed as if it was going to break into two at any time and Dad crouched close to the sectional white sofa near the door. The fairy lights hung from the walls and flickered above me while the trees wavered along with the wind.

I barely took notice of the time as it passed. It was a three-hour drive down here but felt like none. Once I was here, I was relieved from all the tension I had left back at Laford until the minute I had puked over the sink inside the guest bathroom.

Now, I returned to being worried.

I wrapped my hands tightly around the ropes of the swing that was fixated to the roof and said, "I need some advice, Dad."

"Tell me." He waited, leaning forward with his hands closed. "You know you can tell me anything, Bek?"

"Yes, I know." I blew out a breath and my eyes raced around before returning back to Dad's.

"It's about a boy, isn't it?"

My lips parted. "How did you know?"

He shuffled back against the seat and chuckled. "We've only had two serious conversations in our life. The first one was when Adam broke up with you and you came to me, sobbing and screaming. The second one was when the doctors found the tumor in my chest."

A smiled lifted across my mouth as I recalled both forgotten moments. It was all well and different now. Time had passed quickly.

"What is it now? Don't tell me Adam broke your heart again because I'll not be able to hear that," he said with a hint of sarcasm.

I shook my head and laughed. "It isn't him. We haven't spoken in a long while—not since—" I held my words back before everything came spilling out.

The last time I recalled seeing Adam Chase was at his new apartment out of the city, when he was so afraid that he had to run away in fear of Christopher killing him.

"Doesn't matter. It's not about him, Dad. It's about someone else, someone new who I had met a while ago." I paused to take in a breath while the swing moved slightly beneath my weight. "He's a nice man but there's a part of him that I can't seem to accept."

"And what part is that?"

"I cannot tell you."

I couldn't tell my Dad about the shifter world that was beneath the city, deep inside the tunnels of Laford. I couldn't tell him that pure magic ran through the city and that werewolves, part humans and part wolves, lived among us—or we lived among them.

He wouldn't be able to bear it even if I told him.

"It's just something about his world that terrifies me and every day I discover something new that makes me want to leave his world and never return," I continued, a trickle of fear in my voice. "But at the same time, I want him with all my heart. I want him, Dad, but I don't want his world. I hate it. I despise it and everything that comes along with it."

Just as I finished, I felt an intense twinge in my chest as I finally came to understand myself and my emotions.

"That's not fair. Is it, Rebekah?" Dad gave his head a shake while his eyes lowered. "Acceptance is love. If you want him so deeply, you'll have to accept everything that comes with his world and it's challenging, but it's important. It's either everything or nothing. You cannot half-love anybody."

Read the full book on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions