Chapter 59

Chapter 59

Rebekah

Something crawled over my skin.

Pietro bolted outside along with the other man, both of them confused. I stood near the doorway, behind the shades, watching as the car rolled into the driveway of the house. The wrought iron gates began closing from behind as the car came to a complete halt at the front.

Knots appeared in my stomach, even when I knew it was Christopher who was inside the car, completely fine. He stepped out, shades covering his eyes from the gleaming sun before he stepped away from the car and tossed the key over to the man standing nearby.

"Where have you been?" Pietro asked. "Did the fucking witches take you?" The tension in his voice was clear, even when he spoke in a whisper while trying to refrain from getting the attention of the others surrounding us.

It made sense.

There weren't many people here who had knowledge about the witches. It seemed like all this while, Christopher was protecting his pack from them.

"They didn't take me. I went, willingly," Christopher responded, his voice different, rougher. He drew the shades down from his eyes and leaned closer to his brother. "Stop whatever you were trying to do and stop acting as if you care. We both know the truth," he whispered close to his ear before walking away from him and approaching the doorway.

There was no expression on his face, even when I tried to search for it.

Nothing.

He reached closer to me. My heart was pounding hard in my chest. I felt the pulsations of my racing beat under my fingertips. Suddenly, my throat and tongue were dry.

"Christo—"

"Shh." He placed his finger over my lips and the hair on the back of my neck stood as fear washed over me. I tried to remain calm, but something felt wrong, even though he was right here, standing in front of me.

He drew his finger away from my mouth and slipped his hand behind my hair before closing in and kissing me. I kissed him back instantly. It was rough. He bared his teeth, nipping at my lower lip while his hand tightened in my hair. God. I'd missed him.

A deep growl rumbled from his chest. The sound was strong, it piqued my attention. I planted my hand on his shoulder and broke the kiss. Taking in a few shallow breaths, I opened my mouth to question what had happened, but he didn't let me.

"We can talk later. I need you right now." He looped his arm around my waist, grabbing me closer. My cheeks turned red in shame as I found others, including his younger brother, staring at him in confusion. "All to myself."

"But—"

Lifting his eyes, he planted his hand over my mouth while shaking his head. With hesitation, I followed him as he headed up the stairs and into his room. Often, I glanced over my shoulder as something gripped me. Fear? I wasn't sure. What was there to be afraid of? I bit the inside of my cheek as we went into his bedroom that had been untouched this whole time he was gone.

He closed the door behind me and turned to me.

"What happened?" I asked immediately without giving my thoughts another minute to run wild. "What were the witches doing to you? That woman—she took my blood, and I don't know what's happening, but I want to know," my voice was brimming with panic as I spoke to him.

His jaw tightened and his hand returned to my hair. The color of his eyes changed from expressionless golden eyes to predatory, unflinching. He drew me closer to him and said, "I told you—" His fingers raced down my cheek and brushed over my neck. "I don't want to talk about it, Rebekah. Not right now," he whispered, his mouth nearing mine.