Chapter 62

Rebekah

"What is she doing here?" I demanded. My hands folded across my chest as I snapped my head around to Christopher who sat with the witches, as if they were slowly becoming his buddies. "She literally kidnapped me and now you're befriending her? Is that why you wanted me to leave?" My eyes burned into his.

He stepped away from the witches and approached me. "What are you doing here?" he asked, his voice low against mine.

I rolled my eyes. "What is she doing here? What are they doing here?" My finger directed toward the witches. It wasn't just Selene, but rather two more witches, one I had seen with her earlier in that cottage and one more I didn't recognize.

"Nothing." Christopher wrapped his hand around my elbow and began taking me away from them. "I've work to attend to. You should go home," he suggested, nothing but a chill in his voice.

I tore myself away from him. "I'm not going home while you begin tying friendship bracelets with the same people who hexed you, kidnapped me and taken my blood. Something is wrong with you if you've invited them into your home." I looked up at him with my brows furrowed and anger clear on my face.

I couldn't believe they were here right now, when all this time Christopher told me how much he had hated them. Where did that hatred go? What had they done to him?

"It's none of your business, Rebekah." A storm appeared in his eyes before his hand returned around my elbow, pulling me away from the witches who sat quietly a distance away.

Upon glancing over his shoulder, I found Selene grinning in silence. She had done all of this. I wasn't going to let her enjoy it—not on my watch.

"Let go of my hand." I fought back against Christopher, but he didn't stop. "I'll go!" I exclaimed, pushing him off at last.

"You'd better."

Heat filled my face as I dusted off my clothes and stood still for a moment, catching my breath. I brushed my hair off my face and turned toward the door. Michael wasn't there as he knew the witches were here. He must've sensed them and tried to stop me from going inside but I still did.

While everyone here had to bow to Christopher as their Alpha, I didn't, and I was never going to. Defying him ran through my blood and I was going to take every chance at it.

I was his equal. What could he possibly do to me? Nothing.

My heart skipped a beat as I grabbed onto the antique show piece placed over the small wooden table and threw it in the air, aiming it toward Selene. Christopher grabbed my hand, but it was already too late by the time he did so. The brass piece nearly collided with her scrawny head, but she got up quickly. Gasps rose in the silence as the piece fell onto the ground and split into several pieces.

If only it had gone through her head.

I gritted my teeth in anger. "Next time, you're not even going to know where it came from. Bitch!" I snapped at her and for a moment, I saw the fear in her eyes, which was soon replaced with fury.

Christopher's hand tightened on my wrist, and he dragged me out of the sitting room while closing the large door behind him. "What is wrong with you? Do you not see I'm in the middle of something?"

"Actually, I don't see it, just like you can't see what you're doing."

"I know well enough what I'm doing, Rebekah," he yelled as his fingers dug into my flesh. "And I don't need you interrupting me. I'll do whatever I wish to do and you're not going to do anything about it. Do you understand that?"

"No."

"Fuck it. What is your problem?" he growled deeply.

"You. What are you doing inviting her and her posse here? Do you not know what they did with me? And what they did with you? I can't even recognize you anymore." My voice lowered and softened as sorrow and guilt curled in my stomach. I blamed myself partly for letting the witches have me and for not reaching out to Christopher to check on him.

Maybe if I had reached him earlier, he would have still been himself.

"They did not do anything to me," he repeated once more. "Am I hurt? Am I in pain?" he asked before taking a step back and splaying his arms open. There wasn't any injury on him. "No. I'm not, so leave it alone. This is my fucking city and I'm going to do whatever I want to do with it."

I took a step forward and whispered, "What are you doing to do?" What was he planning to do? Why had he mentioned Laford in all of this? Was this all bigger than I and everyone thought?

"Nothing you need to know. You're merely my mate, Rebekah. You don't need to overstep, so go home like you gladly did that afternoon. I'll do as I wish and if you've a problem with that, deal with it—yourself," he said rudely and with a hint of anger behind his words.

A scowl appeared on my face as I realized he was angry about what happened before I was taken by the witches. We had been in an argument when I told him I didn't want to become a werewolf and he stayed stern on turning me one day. He had promised me he wouldn't kill anyone, but I doubted he was going to keep his promise after all this.

"Did you just wanted to mark me so you could get your fucking wolf back?" I asked with surprise.

"Think whatever you want." He scoffed and turned, returning to the sitting room where the witches still were. He closed the door on his way in and the loud slam echoed in my head for the rest of the day.

A small tear of grief trailed down my cheek, but I quickly wiped it away while walking across the hallway. On the other end, I found Michael standing there, listening to everything that had happened.

"He's only pushing you away because he doesn't want to reconnect with his feelings. Once he does, his wolf will lose the control," he said to me, halfheartedly. "Don't leave right now."

"I don't want to," I whispered, shaking my head. "But he wants me to."

"He doesn't. He needs you." Michael approached me and we walked further away from the sitting room where Christopher was seated with the witches, planning something I didn't know. "From what I've heard, the witches could possibly be planning for another massacre. A similar one happened more than a hundred years ago. It was when the witches killed werewolves to end their kind. It didn't work."

I froze in my steps when I heard the same exact words that I had heard from my young sister once and from Christopher just a while ago. The massacre was true. It had already happened once.

"Is that it?" I turned to him with my eyes wide and full of terror.

"I believe so. They must've promised something to the Alpha, to not harm him or those he doesn't want dead. That must've been the ritual they were planning on doing here, in one of the only cities where werewolves live freely," he further explained.

I released a breath and my lips parted in surprise. "That would be cruel." Hundreds and thousands of werewolves dead—it was vicious.

Why would Christopher ever agree to it? Or was he forced to?

Read the full book on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions