Chapter 54

Chapter 54

I panicked instantly. My hands went to my hips as I paced back and forth inside the room. Sweat beaded down my forehead. What did I do? What had I done with myself? I knew it wasn't going to be long before I would begin regretting my decision.

"But he didn't. That's a good thing, Rebekah," Faye whispered, jolting up from her seat as she walked to me, confused. "He would've if he wanted to but he didn't do it. He didn't turn you in one of us."

"But he wanted to. Why would he even think of it?" I threw my hands in the air, sounding more than just frustrated. "What made him even think I'd ever want to become—a werewolf?" My thoughts raced, I scurried to where my bag was kept and searched for my phone.

"It's not a new moon tonight, if that's what you're thinking." Faye came behind me.

I pressed my eyes shut and sighed in relief. Some of the tightness in my stomach uncurled itself. He had bitten me today and if the new moon rose—I'd be an animal. My face scrunched in disgust, and I stepped out of the room, unable to hold in the rage furling inside me.

I searched the house till my eyes met with Christopher's. There was still a bit of a crowd but most of them had left. Everything became a blur around him. My mind was in a haze I couldn't break from. Countless doubts and questions fell into my head.

Did he still want me to become like him? Like the people inside this house? A werewolf?

As much as I was getting comfortable with the fact that werewolves existed, I was never going to become one or let anyone turn me into one.

"What's wrong, ciccio?" He stepped closer to me, acting as if he had no clue about anything.

"Were you—are you planning to turn me into an animal like yourself?" I asked him, quickly changing the words to learn about what he intended on doing with me.

"What?" Christopher furrowed his brows. "Who told you?" he asked after pausing for a moment.

"So you did want to?" I folded my arms across my chest while heaving in a breath. My tone became bitter and loud.

He averted his gaze from me, glancing around at all the people surrounding him before his hand came around my elbow. I shrugged him off, hitting his hand away before following him inside another room.

In the silence, he came closer to me, and his expression relaxed before he asked, "What's wrong with if I want you to?" My head boiled. I let him continue. He had to finish, and I needed to hear him. "Yes, I would've done it earlier but I stopped myself and waited. I don't see a problem here, Rebekah."

A grimace spread over my face. "I don't want to!"

"Not now—"

"Not ever!" I cut him off and finished it myself.

He scoffed, shaking his head before nearing me. His hand returned to my elbow, not holding it, just lightly touching it with his cold fingers. "Eventually, you'll turn. It might not be tonight or this month, but you will."

Something clicked in my head and then I barely controlled myself. "I don't want to turn into a fucking animal!" I exclaimed, my voice hoarse.

"Your wants will change." He remained calm and it threw me off.

My blood ran cold, and I spat out, "No they will not. What makes you think I'd ever want to become one of you? I don't and I never will. If you wanted someone like yourself, you should've found someone like yourself."

He shot me a piercing gaze and the edges of his eyes grew dark at my words. He took a threatening step forward. The emotion on his face was dark, yet somewhat warm. I wanted to confide in it and at the same time, I wanted to run away from it.

"You're mine whether you like it or not. I didn't turn you, not yet, so don't paint me as if I'm the devil. And even if I do turn you, what are you going to do about it, Rebekah?" he asked, a threat in his tone now. "Tell me. You let me mark you. Do you think you can run? Think again. Wherever you go, you'll always come back. Don't find a fucking reason to leave now."

My eyes burned into his. "You think I'm your property now?" He didn't respond and his silence gave me the answer I had been looking for. "I'm not your property, you don't own me and you never will. I'm not going to let you turn me into a werewolf so respect my choice and don't ever try to control me again."

I stepped back, away from him, and walked past him. As I reached the door, I expected him to change his words, to tell me he wouldn't turn me into a werewolf any time he wanted to and that he would rather wait for me, but he didn't say any of it. There was nothing except silence from him.

I didn't understand why he didn't agree with me.

So what if I remained human? How would it affect him? Nothing would've changed. I accepted all the terrible parts of him and overlooked all the bad qualities. Being a human wasn't a bad quality, it was who I was, and I couldn't change it, I didn't want to.

I didn't want to turn into a werewolf.

I grabbed my belongings from the other room and zipped my bag shut before throwing my hair into a ponytail and leaving. From the corner of my eyes, I found Faye approaching me with a questioning look on her face.

"What happened?"

I didn't stop walking. "I'm going home."

"Why? What happened, Bek?" She picked up her pace and followed me. "Did you fight with him? Oh, god. Just wait two minutes, I'll get my keys."

I slowed down a little bit and shook my head. "It's alright. I'll take an Uber home. You stay here and spend time with your family. I'll see you later." I placed my hand on her arm and gave her a little squeeze before leaving.

Faye tried to follow me, but I didn't let her. I didn't want to take her away from the party even though it was ending. I stepped out on my own and booked an Uber home. It was a bit far, but it was time I went back to my own broken family instead of meddling with others.

It was nearing six in the evening. The skies above changed colors and the weather became violent as night approached. I strolled over to the next street where the Uber was parked. He couldn't come around Christopher's residence due to restrictions, so I walked on my own instead, searching for the white sedan.

My whole body was in pain. I didn't want to leave, not after everything we'd shared earlier but at the same time, I couldn't bend to his every demand and turn into a werewolf when I never wanted to become one.

God. Everything was going perfectly.

A hand pressed against my back. I gasped at the unwanted touch and turned around to find a strange woman standing behind me.

"Poor little girl. Such a terrible life you have," she whispered.

I swallowed hard. "Excuse me?"

"You'll never get the love you want. Not in these wealthy neighborhoods or among these werewolves."

"What do you mean?" My brows collected at her words. It was a complete stranger standing in front of me and talking to me as if she knew me.

The corner of her mouth lifted into a smile. "Morpherous," she whispered under her breath and in those few seconds, I realized it was not just any stranger.

It was a witch.

Read the full book on Patreon or Inkitt. www.patreon.com/miakerr www.inkitt.com/miakerr