Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Rebekah

After parting myself from Adam, I went with Faye to her cousin's house in downtown. It was dreadful to handle Adam from not going to the police and complaining to them about what had happened. I truly feared for his life until he finally understood and decided to listen to me for once. He promised he wouldn't go to the police but at the same time, he was going to change the locks to his house and notify the security of his building about what happened.

It was understandable. He was shaken and so was I.

I tried to seem relieved in front of Faye but she picked on my quivering fingers and reassured me that it would be okay. "Trust me, it's not a big of deal. Once he has his wallet back, he won't bother you and you don't have to be scared about anything." She repeated while rolling her steering wheel into the center of the city.

"It seemed like he was going to kill me, Faye." I told her, everything, every detail of it all. "I don't think he would leave me alone. What if he comes and kills me?" I imagined the worst while looking outside at the tall buildings passing by. The skyline of the city in downtown Laford was beautiful and completely different than from living in the outskirts where nothing could be seen.

"He will not." She patted my right shoulder while her attention remained on the roads she was driving on.

I shivered involuntary and looked away, "I made a terrible mistake." I murmured under my breath but she caught on my words.

"People make mistakes. It's alright. Don't beat yourself up with it. If it was anyone else's wallet, I would've applauded you, Bek. Unfortunately, it wasn't." She drove quicker and then suddenly struck at her brakes in front of a tall white building in middle of downtown. "Come on. My cousin has a direct contact to one of his men, she can get the wallet to him so you don't have to and after that, we'll be in the clear." Her lips twitched as she cut the engine and stepped out of her car.

I went out with her and took in a sharp breath. The sun shone over my face, burning my eyes and my cheeks.

"Fear not. I'm here for you." Faye walked ahead of me while lowering her sunglasses to her eyes.

I followed her into the building and we went up by the elevator, reaching the twenty fourth floor where her cousin lived. There had been a few instances where I had met with Alicia, once at her baby shower, at her wedding and she often came over to Faye's house where I crashed sometimes.

Over the ride here, Faye told me that her cousin and her husband were in close contact with the man, Christopher, and she agreed to return the wallet to him in behalf of me, therefore, ridding me of ever seeing him again. Just the thought his presence made me flinch.

I wanted this to be over with. I had other problems to handle and take care of.

Alicia stared at me for a good few seconds before looked into the wallet. Her face was full of surprise. "Wow." She whispered while placing her hand over her belly and glancing at me. She was almost four months pregnant. "Really?"

"It was just the moment. I thought he wouldn't chase after me. After all I did see a crime scene, and I thought that was more than enough." I shrugged while telling her the truth.

In my head, I believed I could've gone to the police after seeing crime scene in the subway station but instead, I decided to make use of the moment and draw some money of it.

Bad idea.

And it was now biting me in the ass. I wanted to hit my head for my own stupidity. Though, it would've worked out if it was some other random guy that wasn't powerful.

"You're confident." Alicia smiled at me and then turned around to see her cousin, Faye. "I like her."

"Trust me. I was baffled when I heard it." Faye shook her head, giving me a glance from the corner of her eyes.

I folded my hands understand and wondered what was this all about. I still couldn't understand what the big deal was. "What is the big deal about this—man?" I asked both of them. "I still can't wrap my head around the whole cult thingy." My eyes directed to Faye.

Her face tensed and she quickly grabbed my arm.

"What cult?" Alicia rose her brow as Faye pulled me out of the apartment forcibly.

"Nothing at all. Just let me know when you have returned the wallet. Thank you so much. Love you. Send regards to Max." She quickly finished before walking out and slamming the door behind.

I stared at her, confused as she pulled me away from the hallway and back into the elevator. My brows puckered. I eyed her as the elevator closed and we went back downstairs.

"Faye," I called out her name. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," She gave out a fake smile while clearly she was hiding something behind it. I stared at her for another moment, demanding truth or at least a bit of it. "It's just that the cult—it was a story I made up, I mean it's similar but it's a cover I told you so you could understand it without going into many details."

"So, what's the whole story?" I folded my arms again and leaned back against the tall mirror in the elevator.

"I can't tell you that." She chewed her lips while replying to me, clearly uncomfortable even talking about it.

"Why?" I remained stern, wanting to know it all. What was the great secret? If it wasn't a cult, what was it? An itch rose inside me. "Just tell me. I know all your secrets so what's the problem telling this one? I promise I won't tell anyone else." I pleaded.

She cleared her throat and shook her head, "I—I really can't, Bek. It's like a box of bee and if I open it up, you'll get stung!" She was worried about me, therefore, hiding whatever truth it was.

"I won't. Just tell me. I'm so curious now!" I exclaimed as my thoughts ran here and there. I knew I wasn't going to stop thinking about it, especially after this whole chaos. "Are you selling drugs? Are you a part of a mafia group?" I began with my theories.

The elevator opened, saving her but I chased her out of the building, wanting answers.

"No, it's not a mafia group, Bek." She shook her head and denied.

"Then what?" I hopped into the car whilst she got in from the driver's seat.

She started the engine and barely made any eye-contact with me while speeding out from the valet parking. "Just something. I can't say." She lined her lips straight and kept her attention on the roads. "Just not now. Maybe later."

"Promise you'll tell me the truth?" I asked her but she didn't respond for a whole minute. "I won't tell anyone. We have known each other for more than a decade, Bek. You know me. My lips are sealed." Using my hands, I placed a finger over my mouth and showed her.

"I know, I know," She sighed. "It's just that if I tell you, you could be in possible danger—worse than today and I can't do that to you." She slowed her driving and glanced at me. "I'm sorry."

I pressed my head back against the seat and remembered what she told me in the cafe. Like every cult, there was a leader and Christopher was their leader. "It's okay. Whenever you want to tell me, you can." I smiled at her and stopped myself from creating anymore trouble than I was in already.

This much action was enough for me.

I didn't need more.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr