Chapter 44

"You came here on your own but you're not leaving until I say so." Christopher spoke behind me before I heard the dangling on the keys in his hand, the key to the bedroom door, the key to my freedom. I turned, facing him as a scowl appeared over my face. Staying here, with him, meant endangering my own self and I wasn't stupid.

I inhaled in a breath, thinking of everything possible that was going to let me leave from here in one piece. "I—I just need some time to think." I said after a moment of silence. I didn't need any time. I just needed to leave in any way possible.

He closed the key in his fist and said, "I want you. And I'm not stupid enough to believe you need time." He grimaced once more before giving me an eye-roll while catching me in a lie."I don't want you to leave because I know the moment you do, you'll not come back. The witches will take you. I'm protecting you for your own benefit."

"And I don't a believe a word you say. You're just covering up for yourself." I folded my hands across my chest while my gaze lingered over his shirt where the blood of the man he had killed still remained. It was turning dark second by second but his hands were clean.

It was as if my dream was replaying itself in my head. The same thing that I had dreamt about was happening and I wasn't sure what was more scarier.

"What if I show you?" He asked.

My brow rose out of curiosity, "What do you mean?"

"If you believe I'm just lying, then let me show you what the witches are capable of." He walked past me and approached the door, unlocking it while I remained confused.

What could he show me?

His hand stretched forward toward me as the door slightly creaked open. I rolled my eyes at his welcoming hand and followed him outside without taking it. We walked past several doors before the spiral staircase came in the view. While descending down the stairs, I looked around, my heart thudding as I hoped to find another escape route out of here if things didn't work. They weren't going to.

I knew well.

Just at the end of the stairs, I found his younger brother, Pietro, standing idle, a smile spread over his face while his hands were folded around his chest. He didn't say anything until we reached down.

"I thought we were going to bury two bodies today." He pouted at his older brother.

"Yours might be the second one. I don't want you around, go hide somewhere or leave." Christopher snapped at him before wrapping his hand around my wrist and tugging me along with himself.

Pietro laughed and I glanced over my shoulders, finding him still chuckling for the next few seconds. "It's a human, Christy. It's never going to be the same. Your luck is ruined, might as well move on."

My brows furrowed. I didn't think too hard. His words were clear. It was odd in their world to be mated with a human and it was problematic. Though, there wasn't much I knew. I had only information from Faye.

We entered another room and my heart jumped at the sight of Michael, the same man that had me drop unconscious in seconds, twice.

"She wants to see what the witches have done. Do you mind if you show her?" Christopher asked him in a silent tone while his fingers were still tightened around my wrist as if he knew well I was going to run from here.

Tension spread over my face. Wait. What?

"You said you'd show me—"

I was cut off before I could even speak. He turned around and said, "I can't show you but Michael will." A smile spread over his face before he let my hand go.