Chapter 55

Chapter 55

The sickening yet sweet, homely scent of tons of candles and herbs drifted to my nose and my face scrunched in disgust. I didn't like it. Twisting around, I rolled over the uncomfortable tiny space before reaching the end. My arm dangled down along with my right leg. When I realized I was inches away from falling onto the ground, my eyes snapped open, and I instantly sat up on an unknown couch.

My eyes wandered and I froze when I caught a woman staring back at me.

She stood a small distance away. There was purple around her mouth and her skin was as pale as ice. Her fingers were stained black, and her hair seemed like it hadn't been combed in months.

I quickly gasped before pulling my legs to myself. It took me a second to understand the woman who was looking at me—a witch. It had to be.

Another woman appeared from the room behind the witch. They looked similar. The only difference was the shape of their noses and their foreheads. Everything else was similar.

I'd been kidnapped by the cruel witches.

Tension creased on my face, and I snapped my head around to the open window where I heard wind rustling and several howls of animals from a distance. Moonlight flooded into the house that was only lit with candles and no other light.

"I don't think we've met," one of them said, the one with the purple mouth stepped forward, nearing me.

"I don't think I want to meet you." I gave her a terrorizing stare while backing farther away from her. Michael had shown me enough visions, which made me believe witches were not good.

When she came closer, I got a clearer view of her. She had light gray eyes, almost white with wrinkles underneath them. She stretched her arm out, her hand opening in front of me. "I'm Selene," she whispered.

"And I'm not going to touch you." I gawked carefully at the black stain around her fingers and then shuddered while shaking my head. "What do you want from me?" I asked, lifting my head.

"Don't be scared. I'm not going to hurt you, Rebekah. We only harm those that have sin in their blood, and you don't," she clarified, sounding quite familiar.

I scoffed. "You sound like my little sister." I remembered Rose before Halloween. She spoke the same way when talking about the witches.

The irony of it all.

My legs rolled down to the ground, but I kept the blanket over me. It was warm in here even with the window wide open. It was surprising that for a kidnapping such as this, I wasn't shackled or locked up in a room. The main door of the house was just behind the couch, the windows were open and there was a clear passage to escape.

I doubt they were going to let me escape. And what was I going to do by escaping? Turn into the animal Christopher wanted me to become? I hadn't forgotten anything, though I wish I had.

"It was quite hard to get a hold of you with all those werewolves surrounding you day and night. I'll repeat again, Rebekah, we wish no harm on you. I hope we can be civil about this," Selene continued and the woman behind her remained quiet, her dark eyes on the ground.

"What do you want from me?"

"Whatever you can give us."

I cocked a brow at her in confusion. "What could I possibly give you?"

"A lot." She heaved in a breath and moved toward the furnace that provided heat. "You're paired with an Alpha. A human and a werewolf, that's certainly something special."