Chapter 67

Rebekah

I reached closer to Christopher and stood between his legs. His untamed fury raced through the air as he closed his blood-stained hands from the man he had planned to kill earlier—just a few moments ago.

"Don't worry. It won't be long. You just need to stay put for an hour. I'll handle everything for you. The witches will be gone, and all will be well. They won't have the tunnels to do any kind of ritual and it may take a while, but I believe you'll return into your usual form in just a few days."

He growled when I told him what I was doing. Anger stormed into his eyes as they changed colors. I swallowed hard and took a hesitant step back from him. He pulled on the cuffs at once. They didn't break as they were made of metal, but the arm of the chair creaked, forming a crack beneath where he had pulled from.

Fuck.

"You don't know what you're doing," he said, his gaze meeting mine.

I quivered under his scrutiny. "Better than what you were trying to do."

He inhaled sharply and looked away, his gaze faltering to the cuffs. He stopped moving his hands and using his energy. "Remove this."

"No."

"Rebekah!"

My heart skipped a beat. I stepped back while my fingers tightened around the phone I was holding. I might have miscalculated the power he held. The metals cuffs weren't going to keep him restrained for long.

His eyes flashed bright red in warning before I heard a small creak from the wooden chair. A shudder crawled down my spine before I backed away, nearing the wall behind me. I had miscalculated more than just a little.

His fingernails stretched, elongating into claws. My heart dropped at the sight of it. He was shifting.

"What are you doing?" I asked, my eyes widening while my lips parted. I didn't think he'd actually do something.

The cuffs tightened even more around his wrist as his flesh became thicker and pitch-black hair came into view. Breaths barely left my throat. I jumped back at the sound of the chair snapping while the rest of his body shifted into a wolf. Dread covered my face and closed my throat. His face morphed into an animal I had never seen before. Splinters of the wood flew across the air as he became a wolf.

"Christopher?" I stuttered.

He growled and fell on all fours, nothing holding him back anymore. It was a seven-foot male wolf, bigger than any other wolves I had ever seen. His fur was all black but there was a white imprint on the top of his head. His piercing red eyes were staring back at my soul. His lips were tight, mouth dripping in hunger and fury.

Everything fell into silence when he stopped growling. Then, I only heard his raspy breathing and my own heart thudding in my chest out of complete fear.

I moved away from the wall and close to the door—his escape.

He reached closer toward the door himself, hoping to rip it open with his bare, sharp claws that had extended onto the plush carpet beneath the bed.

"No." I shook my head, my lower lip quivered. "I can't let you leave."

I couldn't believe what I was doing or what risk I was putting myself in but this was the only way. If Christopher left, he'd be willing to let the witches settle in the tunnels and take over the city while killing hundreds of innocent werewolves who weren't involved in this.

His tongue brushed against his sharp canines before he moved from me, quietly. I rushed behind him, threatening my own life, as he reached for the closed window across the other end of the room.

His phone remained wrapped around my fingers and so did mine. Both of them buzzed. Michael should've managed something now. After all, it had been a while since I dropped a message to Walter.

Something should've happened.

"I can't let you leave, Christopher," I whispered, breathing heavily. My hair fell over my shoulders and tangled.

Not yet.

This time, an ear-splitting growl thundered in my ears before he leaned close, forcing me to move from his path. But I couldn't let him. This was the only chance. There was nothing more if I had lost him.

He was vulnerable, locked up in a room with no option but to harm me if he wanted to leave, and I knew he wouldn't do that.

The window opened slightly as I backed up to it. He cornered me once more. The fury in his face didn't weaken.

He lunged at me—beside me. I didn't know. I scurried to the bed, heart racing as my feet knocked something on the ground. My back fell against the mattress. His wolf strangled above me. I didn't move an inch. My eyes trailed over his large body. It was surprising and terrifying at the same time.

He shifted back in moments. The sound of his bones cracking and his flesh shifting creating a sickening sound. My body tensed as I planted my hands on the mattress and began sliding away.

That was until he grabbed me.

He was bare now. His face was the same, brimming with anger while his body was warm, slick, and pressing against mine.

"Give the phone, Rebekah," he said, jaw twitching.

I stretched my arm and pushed it all the way back to the end of the bed while he held my empty hand and reached for it.

"No," I slid back, pushing him at the same time, but before I could get off the bed entirely and run from the room, he grabbed onto my ankles and pulled me. "I can't let you have it."

"I'm going to have it either way." He forced me closer to him. I clutched onto the phone with my entire life but no matter how much I tried, he was stronger than me and he got it.

"Please." I grabbed his arm before he left the bed. "Don't leave."

"Why not?" he growled, turning to me. His jaw clenched in frustration. "This is my fucking city, I will do whatever the hell I want to do with it. I want to ruin it, so I will. Give me a good fucking reason why I shouldn't leave, Rebekah? You wanted to. Every time. You wanted to leave!"

This wasn't about his wolf or the witches controlling him.

It was about me.

"Christopher." My breath hitched. "I love you."

Read the full book on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions