Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Faye lived in downtown with her parents. They had a cozy three-bedroom apartment on one of the tallest building's in Laford. We went up from high-speed elevator to the eighteenth floor where her apartment was. I had been at her place a hundred times but this once, it felt unusual.

My heart ran a thousand miles per hour. I could feel the drumming of it against my chest. Nerves in my body twisted and tightened as we went inside Faye's bedroom. There was no one at home except for her dog, Sam. Her parents were out doing chores but she felt better to have the conversation in her room.

I sat on the bed, one leg underneath my hips while the other leg dangled off the bed. Faye walked in circles before she went to her closet and grabbed out a book. I could tell it was hard for her. She had a different panic spread over her features and it was clear.

She handed me the book and I rose a brow at her, "A picture book?"

"Yes..." She stuttered. "Just look at it."

"Okay." I nodded and turned the pages.

They were family pictures of Faye and her parents. When I further turned the plastic pages and went ahead, I found pictures of her with her cousins, along with that woman, Alicia and her husband. It seemed like it was all taken a year ago since she wasn't pregnant in the pictures.

I went ahead and turned further only find images of...wolves. Some of the pictures were taken in the dark, in a forest and some were taken in the morning. I furrowed my brows in confusion but didn't question the pictures yet.

By the time I finished the picture book, I raised my head and my gaze met with Faye's. "What's that all?" I asked.

"I—I don't know how to say this..." She took in a cautious breath before sitting down. Seconds passed, she fiddled with the hem of her shirt and then her nails. "You cannot tell anyone." She warned me, for the fourth time.

"I won't. Promise."

She stayed silent for another long, stretched-out minute and I truly understood nothing so far. None of my questions had been answered yet. I continued to look at her, her pupils widened and her gray eyes turned even lighter.

"Well, we—my family and I, we are called shifters," She scratched underneath her ear and then looked away. "Or werewolves. Anything truly. Doesn't matters. We turn occasionally, into wolves and we live in packs."

I blinked once and then once more before a smile spread on my face, "Are you joking?"

"No, Bek!" She spoke in a serious tone and whenever they were two lines on her forehead, she was serious.

Oh.

Shit.

"Wait," My lashes fluttered, I stopped her. "What are you saying? I don't understand anything."

"Just listen..." She rose her both hands, palms faced against me before she heaved in another long breath. "It's like a gift, like we gifted with this power to shift into a wolf and carry its strength while we our in our human form. It sounds like bullocks."

"Yeah." I agreed with her.

"But it's not," Her voice turned stern. "We have a pack, of werewolves since the beginning of time or since we were born. When I was born, I became the member of the same pack as my parents. I first shifted when I was eight, and I was confused then but my parents told me everything. After that, shortly, I met the leader of our pack, the Alpha—Christopher Delfino."

I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry. My emotions mixed even further. Was this a joke or not? I had known Faye since I was a baby and I knew everything about her.