Chapter 60

Chapter 60

Rebekah

I stared at the ceiling above me, still breathing heavily and adjusting. With every movement I made on the bed, my insides became sorer. I turned to Christopher, finding him asleep on the left side of the bed. He remained near me, only a few inches away, while his arm was dropped over my chest.

He had fallen asleep in seconds after finishing inside me. Hours had passed. He hadn't given me any answers. I didn't ask. It wasn't the right time.

Taking in a deep breath, I lifted his arm over my body and rose from the bed. Every nerve in my body tingled in pain as I made my way to the washroom while limping on my legs. I barely had any strength left, he'd made sure to take it all away.

After cleaning myself, I put on my clothes and stepped outside the bedroom. My eyes darted back and forth. There was no one in the hallways. I walked for a few long minutes, heading to the other portion of the house before knocking on Pietro's door.

He opened moments later and ran his gaze over me. "Were you attacked?"

I stared back at him in horror. "By your brother? Yes." I stepped inside his room, and he closed the door behind him. "I think something happened. I don't know what it is but there's something wrong with Christopher and he's not telling me."

Pietro folded his arms across his chest. "I can tell."

Creases of worry appeared on my forehead as I recalled the past few hours I had spent with him. It made my skin crawl. He spoke differently, he acted differently, and he even fucked me in a way he had never done before.

Mercilessly.

"Did the witches hex him or what?" It was the only thing I could think of.

"No, they didn't." Pietro shook his head and spoke slowly as if he was thinking hard. After a moment of silence, he came to a conclusion and shared it with me. "They didn't do anything. He got his wolf back."

"What?" I furrowed my brows.

"Christopher is a different man without his wolf and a different one with his wolf. The part of him you've seen is without his wolf—weak, humane and somewhat sympathetic." He heaved in a breath and walked away from me. "There is another part of him that's cruel. With his wolf, he's powerful and fierce," he explained with a hint of horror in his eyes.

I stepped back, blinking slowly. "But then why would he want his wolf back if he knew he'd change into something like that?" It didn't make sense.

Christopher wanted to be a different person. He'd told me himself he wanted to change, for me. He wanted to become better. I couldn't understand why he craved for his wolf if he knew he'd become cruel.

"Why not?" Pietro turned to me and shrugged. "He's an Alpha. Not having a wolf threatens his title, Rebekah."

I blew out a breath and asked, "So you're telling me his wolf is back?"

"Yes. He marked you, that triggered his wolf to return and for the curse to break. The curse was placed over him because the witches believed he—"

"He was a monster and by taking his wolf, they tamed him," I finished, remembering Selene's words and what she had told me that evening. I felt the color draining from my face as the rest of her words echoed in my head.

She had taken his wolf for a reason.

This was it.

Pietro nodded before he let out a sigh and walked into another room. When he came back out, he had a suitcase and tossed it on the ground.

"What are you doing?" I cocked a brow at him.

"Packing my shit and leaving," he said without any hint of sarcasm. Fuck. He couldn't be serious. "I've dealt with my brother in his unforgiving phase, and I don't want to do it again. I'd rather leave and wait for some miracle to happen than have my own brother kill me in spite—which he'll surely do." He unzipped the suitcase and pushed it open.

I ran my fingers through my hair while my breathing quickened. "You can't leave!"

"Yes, I can, and I will. And a suggestion, you should too. This is just the beginning. You're going to see faces of him you've never seen before..." His voice faded as he went into the other room and grabbed his clothes. When he returned, he continued, "With his wolf, he's a different man. You've only seen the tip of the iceberg."

"What are you talking about?" I grumbled in frustration while fear filled my voice.

He shoved his things inside the suitcase and began packing. "Years ago, when Christopher had his wolf, he killed wolves left and right. If anyone dared him, he'd kill them. If anyone threatened him, he'd kill them. If anyone irritated him, he'd kill them," he grumbled while rolling his eyes. "There was a time where he nearly killed me. His own blood. What makes you think you're safe here?"

"But I'm his mate," I reminded him. "He wouldn't hurt me." I knew it. He promised me he wouldn't ever. I believed him.

"Good luck with that theory."

Pietro ran back and forth, packing his things before Christopher woke up. Panic set deep inside my heart as I watched him. He was terrified of his own brother. In just a few minutes from the conversation to the packing, he practically ran out of the residence, taking only his things and told me to tell his brother he's going for very long vacation.

I had only known Christopher for a couple of months and those were far more than enough to believe he wouldn't hurt me.

But was I sure about it?

I swallowed hard and twisted the door handle to his room, pushing his door open and walking inside.

My heart skipped a beat when I found him awake.

"I've been waiting for you, Rebekah."

Read the full book on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions