O39

"Mother..."

The grilling guys,—Taeyong and Taeil—did much enough to distract themselves from eavesdropping the current situation, the exact barbeque night that should be happening and alive. Plot twist happened, everyone gathered around the living room to witness a sudden meet-up between the long lost daughter and the finally relieved mother and brother-biological ones. There was a mixed feelings in her stomach, Jangmi looked deeply into Jaehyun's eyes, and he did the same, examining her and his mother at the same time. They do look alike, and he thought his mind was puzzled as hell at the damned moment.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come—"

"What nonsense are YOU speaking, Jangmi?" Jaehyun unconsciously raised his tone, sitting back down while murmuring thousand words of sorry as he rubbed Mrs. Jung's—the biological mother—shoulder softly. Some decided to just stare at the pathetic three, some tried to get rid of it, but there was only one who was highkey wanted to dig down every single info about this lost Jung Jangmi. Lee Donghyuck, currently holding both of his lover's hands while whispering many 'it's okay' in hope she would calm down.

"Where have you been, Jangmi? It's mother! I'm your mother, where have you been, sweetheart,"

After the long pause, that kills Jaehyun inside, Mrs. Jung ran into the arms of her daughter, the abandoned daughter, the one who faced the hardest life all along and the one who had been thrown away-long, long time ago. Call it a nonsense, well, a mother is still a mother and mothers can sense her own child, the one who came out of her womb—that's mother. All Mrs. Jung could think of the moment was-was Jangmi raised well? Was Jangmi suffering? Who is the kind-hearted person that willing theirself to adopt her? Those questions, it flowed down along with tears, unspoken.

"M-mother, Mother Jung...? Are you being serious?" She was sure it was a whole misunderstanding scene by looking into Jaehyun's eyes, he was genuinely lost in the whole scenario. Such dramatic scenario, he thought.

"I'm not 100% sure she's my sister, when I grew up being alone. Listen, I'm not saying that I don't want Jangmi as my sister, it is fucking sudden-"

"Watch your mouth, Jung Jaehyun," Mrs. Jung stood, staring down onto the son who sounded a little bit rude from what she knew.

"I'm sorry, mother, but please listen to me. She's new! She just came to the campus and suddenly YOU, MOTHER said she's your daughter, means I have a sibling? Did you and dad hid this from me?"

"Excuse me, I'm reaaally sorry but I guess we should eat for now, let's, I mean, you guys can settle this later. All the meat is done, we should eat before it gets cold." Johnny boldly, respectfully interrupted, worried by witnessing the calm Jaehyun turned 180 degrees in order to stand for his right. Right after Johnny's words, Jangmi was the first one to step out of the circle of anxiety, straight away grabbing a plate and fill it up with food, food and food. She was planning to run away, but Donghyuck was a great mind-reader—he insisted her to stay, because he was there for her.

▫️

"Jaehyun..."

"Mother, I'm tired. It's already 2 in the morning why don't you sleep yet?" The worn-out son softly asked, taking a glimpse of his good-looking mother who was standing right beside the couch.

To be frank, he was still recovering from the scene earlier-where he was convinced to believe that he actually has a sister when he grew up all alone with zero sign of having any siblings, not even one. The gathering ended well with Mrs. Jung letting Jangmi go and have a moment to think and accept before she herself will go and meet the Mr and Mrs. Pyo for raising her well. It surely wreck everyone's mental, especially the biological Jung's siblings.

"I still want to talk to you, my son." Mrs. Jung softly rubbed Jaehyun's arm, making the one turned to look at the very pure woman's eyes. She looked gloomy—and strangely—happy at the same time. Maybe due to finding out her another child was drawing that subtle smile on her face.

"Mother, sorry for my bad attitude, I felt betrayed. You know, right?-that I badly wanted a sibling since I was in the elementary school? I was jealous of my friends who actually have sisters and brothers, but me? And then I found out today that this one girl that's basically one of my friend is my sister? Mother, you got a story to tell."

Due to the pouty Jaehyun, Mrs. Jung chuckled and continued playing with her beloved son's hair. It was soft—it made him sleepy due to some reasons.

"You know—father, he once had a huge problems with our family's finance, so he had to do it. Sending her off to the orphanage because yeah, he's stupid. Look at your father now, going all around the world with no care to us, you may grow up with a father figure but trust me, Jaehyun. You were brainwashed all the way growing up."

A long silence was heard and it enlarged his eyes before turning to see his mother's face with disbelief. "What do you mean I was brainwashed?"

"Brainwashed for having a good, good life. And obviously, brainwashed for having no siblings when you actually have one sister."

"Fuck, who is father actually...?"

Mrs. Jung exhaled a long breath, trying her best not to shed any tears that midnight. She knew, that she knew nothing about her husband's jobs out of the country, what was his intention and what exactly he sacrificed in the family. He always told her wife that sending their daughter off to the orphanage was a sacrifice that needs to be remembered. She grew hatred on her own husband, year by year.

"Alright, that's all for tonight. You better have a good sleep, Jaehyun. We'll talk about this again later." A forehead kiss was received by the son as he witnessed the mother walking into her room.

If it's true that the father was someone that is bad, who is he? What did he actually do and what intention behind all of the Jangmi things?

Busier nights ahead, warning signs everywhere, fights and blood spreading.

▫️