XIX - IOU

At breakfast the next morning, Steven is glaring at me. Hard core.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Mom asks.

"Nothing." Steven and I say in unison.

Unknowingly, I was glaring right back the whole time.

"Do not make me get out the together shirt." She warns.

"Awe, Mom no!" I whine.

"Please, Mom." Steven adds.

Jeremiah starts laughing with his head down.

"Shut up." I kick his leg.

"Ow!" Jeremiah whispers.

"All of you stop it, this is the last warning." Mom says.

"That wasn't even me! It was Y/n!" Steven argues. Mom glares in response. "Sorry," He adds quietly.

"Oh, Laurel," Jeremiah announces.

She looks over, waiting for a response.

"Sorry, I have to answer this really fast!" He says, taking his phone out of his pocket.

"Admit you owe me one, or I tell your mom what happened last night" He texts.

"And I'll happily favor Steven's side" He adds.

I look up at him quickly, he's smirking.

"IOU." I respond. Jerk.

"Sorry, I totally forgot what I was going to say." He laughs it off to my mom.

She just sighs and continues eating her eggs.

My eyes are glued to Jeremiah with the nastiest look I can muster.

He's simply smiling to himself.

***

"Belly, honey, can you go put new bedsheets on in the guest room for your dad and his girlfriend?" Mom asks.

"The room next to mine? Really?" She whines.

"Now." Mom says.

Belly walks upstairs and I see Conrad follow her. You're with Cam. Can't Conrad be up for grabs now? I internally groan.

A little while later, Dad and his girlfriend come over.

Dad walks in the door and pulls all three of us into a big hug.

"Hey, kiddos."

"Hi, I'm Victoria. It's really great to meet you guys. I've heard nothing but five-star reviews." She says with a bright smile.

We all just stand there smiling awkwardly, not really knowing what to say.

"Here, let's put this in the kitchen." Dad gestures her over to the next room.

***

Some of our deb friends come over for this cute Fourth Of July bbq that Susannah throws every summer.

Belly, Shayla, and Steven are by the snack bar.

Conrad and Nicole are in the pool. Eck.

Gigi is talking to Susannah.

Mom is talking to Dad.

And Jeremiah is...

Ew. Flirting with Victoria.

***

Conrad and I start talking over by the snack table.

"Oh, they're out of pineapple chunks." He says.

"Let's go grab some more. Save your mom a little hassle." I suggest.

We walk into the kitchen and see Belly and Jeremiah.

"What are you guys doing?" Conrad asks.

"Victoria just showed us this recipe for pomegranate margaritas!" Belly explains. "They're to die for so we're making a bigger batch."

"Well you gotta use the good blender." Conrad said like it was common sense.

"Uh- I haven't used that thing since the great Kool-Aid debacle of 2011." Jeremiah warns.

Conrad laughs, "I remember, the counters were sticky for.. two summers?"

We all join in and laugh.

***

All the teens went to the beach with our new batch of pomegranate margaritas and chilled.

I sat, by myself. Because I am single and lonely and Conrad has a girlfriend and a Belly, and I have... nobody. Lol lucky me.

I only got a glass of the drink because I didn't want to seem drunk around the parents, and I didn't want to deal with any sort of headache tomorrow.

Belly on the other hand...

***

I just chill away from people for the rest of the time.

Belly is too drunk to be around and the people she's with are all talking drama.

Conrad and Jeremiah are throwing the football around.

The parents are inside chatting.

And here I am, happily reading a book by the pool.

Well, I was.

"CANNONBALL!"

I look up from the book. All I see is a flash before I am soaked with pool water.

I drop my book to wipe the water from my eyes before I open them. The first thing I notice when my eyes work again is that I'm soaked, then that my book is soaked, then that Jeremiah is happily smiling at me with his arms rested against the edge of the pool.

"Oops," His smirk grows.

"Asshole." I stand up and go to my room to change.

He just laughs as I walk away.

***

OKAY YOU GUYS A/N TIME.

I KNOW THE STORY HAS BEEN SLOW BUT IT'S ABOUT TO PICK UP SOME PACE SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.

I ALSO HAVE VERY MANY IDEAS FOR CUTE JERE MOMENTS SO...

worth the wait, i promise.

LOVE YOU ALL!!!