LXVII - Goodnight

JEREMIAH POV:

There's about fifteen minutes left in the movie when I hear her light snoring.

I look down and see her, sleeping on my chest.

I know we've napped on the couch or in my bed at the same time, but we normally fall asleep together. I don't ever really see her in my arms like this.

And I'm gonna enjoy the last fifteen minutes I have of this excuse- I mean, movie, to just enjoy her presence.

Her hair is lightly over her eyes and her cheek is pressed to my chest, leaving her mouth slightly open.

A sense of fulfillment is lingering in my chest, she feels safe enough with me to fall asleep in my arms. I make her feel that way.

The movie ends and now I don't have an excuse to stay here.

Staying here, awake, with her asleep on me is weird if there isn't a justification I can use to be here.

I sit up lightly, holding her in my arms. I carry her up the stairs and into her room.

After setting her on the bed I pull the blanket over her body. Her hair's still in the high ponytail she put up earlier today.

I remember her telling me about how a high ponytail is a girl's worst nightmare. Something that looks good, but leaves a bump on your hair, hurts like shit, and gives you a headache even after it's out.

I lightly pull the hair tie out of her hand and run my hands through her hair to loosen everything from the formed state.

"Jere.." She mumbles.

"Hey, sorry, princess. I didn't mean to wake you up." I say quietly.

"That feels good." She sighs happily and stays snuggled under the covers.

I laugh breathily and lick my lips.

"Goodnight." I say, pulling my hand away slowly.

"You're not staying?" She asks sadly, finally opening her eyes fully.

I shake my head no.

"Please?" She grabs my hand and caresses it.

I look at her eyes, the definition of puppy dog.

"Wouldn't hurt anybody."  She adds with a tired but smug smile.

"Can't argue with that." I smile and walk to the other side of her bed.

She's immediately wrapped around me again. Definitely not complaining though.

"Night, Baby." Her voice is raspier than usual and I love it.

"Goodnight, Princess."