XXXV - Dreams

Jeremiah POV:

***

She almost kissed him, and she didn't think to tell me?

My chest feels hot and I hate it.

"So, boardwalk, tonight? When?" I refocus the subject.

"Um, I think around 9:00." She says with a twinkle in her eye. Why does she have to be so excited to see Conrad?

Why do I even care?

"Okay, I'll see you then." I'm short, and she senses it. She leaves my room, closing the door behind her.

***

"Ooo, perfect. Right here against the railing is prime spot for public flirting." She laughs a little, "That is such a weird sentence."

Her laugh makes me laugh with her.

"Okay, so just flirt?" I double check with her.

"Pretty much." She says. "Goal of the game is to get him to actually kiss me the next time, not just lean in and then chicken out."

I remember chicken, her sitting on my shoulders, leaning down to whisper in my ear when we won. To think, I couldn't wait to get her off of me then. I took her for granted my whole life.

"Jere?" She waves a hand in front of my face, pulling me out of the trance.

Every time she calls me that I get a weird feeling in my chest. The fact I earned part of her enough to call me that instead of my full name.. it's progress. Even if it was just to make Conrad jealous at first, she's started doing it in private.

"Sorry-" I say, coming back down to Earth.

"He's coming." She whispers all giddy.

Right, my brother, the one that makes that cute reaction come out of her.

"Connie's turn." I smirk down at her.

We're leaning against the railing, talking.

"Flirty, flirty, flirt." I say filling the silence so Conrad will see my lips moving. She giggles at this.

"Earshot." I whisper down to her.

She nods.

"I know a good spot." I bite my lip.

She laughs out a scoff, "In your dreams, Fisher."

I pause and smirk. Conrad's looking intently now.

"You should see what we do in my dreams." I say with dark eyes.

"Oh yeah?" She challenges, "What?"

"I could show you," I offer, taking her neck lightly in my hand, acting like we're about to kiss.

"Get a room!" Conrad shouts.

We pull apart quickly like it was a surprise he showed up.

"Con-" She stutters.

He scoffs and continues on his walk.

"Do you think it worked?" She whispers, looking at him over my shoulder.

"Or was it too much, too taken?" She asks looking back at me with a nervous lip in between her teeth.

"Uh, no- no, I think you were perfect." I say.

Shit I said 'you' didn't I? Maybe she won't notice?

She nods. "Okay."