XXXI - FaceTime

"The sky was so pretty this morning, right Bells?" I look over to her at the dining table, we're all eating lunch.

"It really was. I couldn't name a better morning than saving the turtles and seeing it." She smiles, before taking another bite of salad.

"Seriously, Jere and I went to the port to get a better look after breakfast. View was amazing." I boast.

Conrad looks up now, "Yeah, I saw you and Jere there." He says, hyper-focusing on the nickname I used.

I never call him Jere. I made it a huge deal that I'd rather die than call him that all growing up.

"You did?" I ask, "Why didn't you come say hi?"

"You guys seemed a little busy." He looks back down at his food and continues eating.

Mission accomplished.

"Awe, did you two have a good time?" Susannah asks.

"It was a great morning, Mom." Jeremiah smiles, answering the question.

Susannah eyes my mom smugly. She's not as sneaky as she thinks she is.

"Uh, Cam and I are going on another date tonight." Belly interjects.

Someone's jealous. My brain is smiling at how well this is working out.

"Oh yeah? What're y'all doing?" Jeremiah asks.

"We're going for a picnic, near the beach." She explains. "Says he knows a good spot."

I nod and put some more food in my mouth, "Romantic." I smirk.

"Shush," She giggles.

I make eye contact with Conrad. It's like a challenge, who will look away first? I do. I look away and move my hand over to Jeremiah's under the table, he grabs on almost right away.

Conrad clears his throat, "Am I excused?" He asks.

"Uh, sure, honey." Susannah smiles.

Conrad stands up and goes to put his dishes away in the sink. Afterwards he goes upstairs. To his room, I assume.

I finish up my lunch and put my dishes away just the same, "I'm gonna go upstairs and talk to Taylor for a bit, feels like it's been forever." I tell the table.

"Okay, honey. Tell her I said 'hi'." Mom smiles.

I nod and run up the stairs.

"Taylor!" I yell over FaceTime.

"Y/n!" She squeals back. "It has been a million years were have you been!?" She laughs.

"I'm sorry, I've been busy! I missed you so much." I say.

"Me too. So? Tell me everything!" She smiles.

"Well, Belly and Cam are still super cute! The deb stuff is keeping me real busy in my free time. And I still don't have an official escort." I say quickly, trying to fit everything in.

"Official?" She asks, picking up my choice of words.

"Y/n." Jeremiah says walking into my room, without knocking.

"Jere?" I look over, "What are you-" I ask as he walks over.

He moves a piece of hair out of my face and tucks it behind me ear.

"Jere, I'm on the phone-"

"Do I make you nervous?" He smirks and asks softly.

I quickly put myself on mute and flip the phone face-down on my bed.

"What do you want?!" I whisper yell at him.

He shrugs with a cocky look plastered on his face.

Then, get this, he just walks out.

I'm stuck for a moment, just shocked. What the hell just happened.

"Hey, sorry, Tay-" I say after unmuting and hold my phone back up to my face.

"O M G" She spells out. "What is going on between you and Jeremy!?" She squeals.

"Nothing." I scoff with a small laugh, trying to brush off the subject.

"What I just saw was not nothing!" She argues.

"You barely saw a thing. Completely out of context, I might add." I laugh.

"Exactly, what happened after you muted?" She smirks.

"Nothing!" I laugh and blush.

"Ah, ah, ah," She sounds, "No lying!"

"There's nothing going on! We just don't.." I pause, "Hate each other anymore." I say shyly.

I guess Taylor is another person we have to lie to.

Screw you Jeremiah. I wanted to leave her out of this as long as possible.

"Spill!" She shouts.

"There's nothing to spill!" I promise.

"Sure," She strings out.

I laugh and roll my eyes.