11: Bittersweet talk.

Y/n's pov

We left the school, heading for the Wheeler's house where we took camp in Mike's basement, despite him being in California.

Almost everyone slept through the night, exhausted from the day while Max and I couldn't sleep, presuming we would be dead this time tomorrow.

Dustin had been holding onto me like it was the last time he was ever going to be able to hold me, and maybe it was.

Nancy slept upstairs in her room with Robin and the boys took up the couch and the floor.

I snuggled with Dustin for a little while. My eyes were opened but his soft snores slightly calmed me down.

But after a while my inevitable death was the only thing I could think about and I pried myself from Dustin's grasp, getting up from the couch he had fought for and tip-toeing over to the desk at which Max sat.

I checked the time on my watch.

3:26 Am.

"Hey." I said quietly.

"Hey." She said, looking over her shoulder in mild surprise.

I gave her a tight-lipped smile, the most reassurance I could muster at a time like this. "Mind if I pull up a chair?"

Max smiled at me, as if saying yes, and I pulled a wooden folding chair from the D&D table to the desk, sitting down next to her silently.

There was a lamp on the desk that illuminated everything softly and warmly,

I noticed a few labeled envelopes spread out in front of her. "What are you doing..?" I hesitated to ask.

"Just making letters." She stated, and when I still gave her a confused face, she explained more clearly, "For after. Incase things don't work out and we can't get rid of this stupid curse."

"So... a failsafe?" I asked.

Max nodded. "Yeah."

I closed my eyes in a sort of sighing wince.

"I'm sorry- I know that isn't exactly comforting." She said quickly. "But... maybe you should make some too?" She asked carefully.

"Yeah. Your right." I nodded, swallowing my fear. "Where's the paper?"

Max fumbled to get the lined paper from the shelf beside her, handing me roughly a dozen pieces.

I began to write, the first to Dustin, then Steve, my mom and dad, Robin, Lucas, Erica, Will, Nancy, Jonathan, Joyce, El, Mike, Eddie, Edgar, Murray, Mrs. Henderson and other family. (Yes, I will tell you what most of the letters Y/n wrote said later)

Max turned to face me, and my pen hovered over the paper, waiting patiently.

"Im really sorry this is happening to you- to us." She said, and I turned to her.

"Me too." I said. "I know we're still best friends and on great terms but I'm sorry we never got time to hang out as much after... what happened. I really wish we did, but I know you're not doing great, and I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Y/n. You- you don't have anything to be sorry for, you were always there for me. Even when Lucas wasn't." She smiled lightly. "And if we do make it through this, we can hangout all the time, and you can read The Secret Garden to me, I know you love that book, and we can go visit El and have girls sleepovers just like I said." Max had started to cry now, and so had I, and she reached her arms out to me, engulfing me in a hug.

My body was wracked with sobs as the salty tears flowed freely from my eyes, it felt like my heart was crying too.

Twenty minutes later, we had both gotten out our cries of pain and fear, and I retracted from her, wiping my eyes and smiling a bittersweet smile.

"I love you, Max." I said. "You'll always be my best friend."

"I love you too." She smiled with tears pooling in the corners of her eyes, quickly wiping them.

"I better get back to my fail-safe's." I turned back to my slowly growing pile of letters. I had to ask Max from more paper, Dustin's letter turning out a whole three pages of writing.

The sun slowly rose as the basement got lighter and lighter, the table lamp no longer being a key source of light.

Word count: 720