15: The cemetary.

Y/n's pov

Steve's car drove down the road, 'Hard feelings' by Al Kerbey being the only source of sound.

I sat behind the passenger seat, resting both my hands on Dustin's - who sat in the passenger's seat- shoulders. Lucas sat beside me in the middle, turning his two letters over and over and occasionally glancing to Max or me. Max sat beside Lucas, staring ahead, emotionless.

We turned a corner and drove down the gravel road that led to Max's house. Steve parked the car right out front as a cloud of gravel dust accumulated behind the vehicle. "Alright, this better be fast, Mayfield."

"Twenty seconds." She replied, hopping out of the car and swinging her backpack over her shoulder before jogging inside.

Steve looked over to Dustin, who was holding his supercom.

"That thing's got batteries in it, right?" Steve asked idiotically.

Dustin looked at Steve with a disappointed look before turning his head towards the window.

"Are you serious, Steve?" I shook my head.

Dustin sighed. "I'm not even answering that question."

Steve looked over at him, baffled as if it wasn't common knowledge that Radio's had batteries.

"Yes! It has batteries." Dustin said, irritated but speaking softly.

"Yeah, I got it." Steve nodded.

It had been two minutes since Max left, and Steve's car didn't have heating. It may be spring break, but Hawkins was cold all year exempt from summer.

"Dustin?" I tapped his shoulder gently.

"Yes, my love?" He asked softly.

"Ugh, get a room." Lucas rolled his eyes.

"Shut it, Lukie." I rolled my eyes.

"Do you have an extra sweater? I'm kind of cold." I spoke to Dustin.

"Of course I do." Dustin giggled, picking his backpack up off the floor and rummaging around in it. "I always bring one in case you get cold. Plus you could just have mine if I didn't have an extra." He handed me his blue hoodie with the periodic table of elements on it.

"I love you." I pulled the hoodie over my head as a waft of the smell of chocolate and shampoo fell over me.

"I love you too." He smiled back at me.

——

Five minutes had gone by and still no sign of Max, we were all starting to worry, Steve especially.

After another minute passed, we all got out of the car just as Max sped around the corner, walking as fast as her legs could go.

"Hey, that was longer than twenty seconds." Steve said. "Hey, woah, woah, woah, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, just drive." Max quickly got in the car.

"Did something happen?" Lucas pestered.

"Can we please just go?" Max's voice wavered.

Steve backed out of the driveway, sending another whirl of gravel dust around the car as he sped off down the road.

After a while of driving and Max ordering directions we turned onto another road.

"Turn here." Max said.

Dustin looked back at her. "Here?" He squinted his eyes with a weirded-out look.

Max nodded hesitantly and I placed my hands back on Dustin's shoulders, which seemed to ease him.

Steve turned and we arrived at our destination; the cemetery.

Steve slowed the car to a stop and parked neatly in a spot that wasn't crowded with tombstones.

Max got out of the car and Lucas rushed after her.

"No- Lucas!" I tried to stop him.

He quickly ran up to her and she looked like she was telling him to go back to the car, but he was objecting and then they talked before Lucas pulled his letter out of his pocket and started brandishing it as he spoke.

"It's actually really funny watching a conversation when you can't tell what they're saying." I spoke up, breaking the silence.

"You know, you're awfully humorous for someone who might die in a few hours." Steve said, wincing and instantly regretting his words.

"Woah, Steve. Harsh." Dustin scowled at him, turning to look at me.

I had become silent, looking at my feet as I desperately tried to wards off the thought of my demise.

"I am so sorry, Y/n, like, so sorry." Steve turned to me quickly. "I didn't mean it like that."

I pursed my lips in the best real-looking smile I could muster. "It's okay."

Just then, Lucas came back to the car, sitting down beside me.

"Hey. You okay?" He asked, looking at my sad demeanour.

"Never been better." I lied, smiling.

He chuckled, patting my arm and giving me a side hug as I placed both my hands on his tabletop hair.

"I love it when you do that." He laughed.

"It's like a table top." I shrugged with a lopsided smile.

In the front seat, Dustin pouted at his lack of affection.

I rolled my eyes, leaning forwards and lightly pecking his lips and nose.

He smiled contently and I smiled back at my beautiful boyfriend.

Word count: 790