Chapter 1: Prologue

"Hey, if any one of y'all want to go back to the past, lemme know. I'll kill y'all"

- From the records of <<Carpediem>>

Prologue: Carpediem

A sky hidden by the sky-soaring towers.

Various ruined structures. Faint sounds of moans and screams. Explosive smoke everywhere.

And continued silence.

Needless to say, this was the world after the apocalypse.

You all might know of this. I will not go into the details, but you will understand once you read the history.

Year 2018.

Enormous structures, or the <<Tower of Nightmares>>, appeared in the skies of various cities around the world, including Seoul.

...I just realized it's a ton of work to go through every date. Besides, there are all sorts of similar fantasy novels that consist of similar stories, and that makes me wonder if I even need to explain everything.

But this'll make it simpler, so I'll continue on for a bit.

I should at least explain why mankind reached such an end.

As you might know, the beginning was calm.

In 2018, an enormous structure called the <<Tower of Nightmares>> appeared in the sky above the city. The tower did not state anything nor did it explain itself, but the humans began talking. There were rumors and speculations that the end had come.

Then the tower called upon humankind.

<<Tower Walkers>>

The ones who were later referred to as Walkers.

These people were summoned by the tower's 'message' and they had earned the power and right to climb it. This was the message: 'Accept the summon if you want to stop the extinction of mankind.' And thousands of people responded to it.

It was about a ten thousand to one ratio if one considered the entire population, but it was still fortunate. There were that many people who were willing to do what it took to save mankind.

But the information extracted from the Tower of Nightmares showed various rewards for climbing up the tower, which probably had attracted a lot of people too.

Anyway, these people then received the power called the <<Interface System>> that allowed them to earn items and skills just like a game to climb up the Tower of Nightmares.

People were not so eager to climb, however. There was the possibility of encountering various dangers and the human extinction that the tower mentioned was also very vague.

That was when the First Tower Impact occurred.

The tower let some monsters loose to kill the inhabitants below, killing one-third of the Earth's population.

Now, you might know what happened afterward.

Those Walkers were given an important task to climb up the tower for the sake of humanity.

But this story full of clichés does not end here.

Year 2023

A revival item, [Returning Stone], was found.

Just like the name said, it worked exactly as indicated.

Now you'll know what this story is about. Yes, it's a story that everyone might know.