Chapter 167: Rupture (2)

...

“…Here comes the stubborn again.”

“I’m not being stubborn. It’s a matter of justice.”

“What are you talking about?”

“We cannot accept the smaller evil just because we are against the greater evil. Rupture is not that kind of place.”

Yoonhwan spoke fiercely and Kashim became silent. Yoonhwan believed Kashim understood what he was getting at, but Kashim smiled bitterly.

“You are still young. You have not experienced enough of the world.”

“No! It’s not about that! I am…”

“Yes. It is.”

Yoonhwan felt as if he was being trampled upon. Kashim spoke to him.

“A dream requires sacrifices for it to become real. As you know, there is no perfect justice in the world.”

Yes, that he knew. Yoonhwan knew that. But…

‘He would’ve said differently.’

Yoonhwan remembered someone else. When everyone said no. When everyone gave up on the present. The man did not give up and pursued his justice. It was Yoonhwan’s best friend.

What had happened to him then? Did he clear the tower in the end?

‘…No, that’s not possible.’

Yoonhwan felt sad. He knew how the world worked. One man who did not give up couldn’t change the world. Yoonhwan shook his head to shake away all his sad memories. Kashim was speaking.

“You are speaking of selfishness disguised by your justice. You know there’s nothing you can do as a mere member, and you are pushing us to do something because of your helplessness.”

Yoonhwan couldn’t object. He thought maybe Kashim was right.

“If you say so, what about Seoyul? Or me and Mirel? Who here doesn’t want to be just?”

Yoonhwan glanced at Seoyul. Her emotionless face didn’t show any expression. She had been in that state ever since the simulation was over.

“You talking about that now will not…”

“That’s enough. I’m sure Yoonhwan understands.”

Mirel quickly stopped Kashim as he was beginning to get angry. Kashim shook his head and sipped the tea as he continued, “If you don’t like where Rupture is going, become powerful. Grow.”

“….”

“Even if you have such a noble dream, there’s nothing you can do if you don’t have the power to do it. No one will care about a mere member’s thoughts.”

Kashim then stood up and walked out of the room. Silence fell in the room and Mirel spoke up.

“Yoonhwan, I didn’t think you were so stubborn.”

“…”

“I know Kashim might sound pushy, but he has a point. You know that.”

“…Yes.”

Yoonhwan answered reluctantly and Mirel smiled.

“Everyone knows what you are talking about. We all know, but there is no other way.”

Yoonhwan wanted to ask, ‘Why do we have to do it if we know that it’s wrong?’ If they really knew, then they should not have done it. But Yoonhwan couldn’t ask. Deep in his heart, he too knew why they had no other way.