Chapter 50: Master of Gorgon (8)

...

<Chaos> had no funerals.

Funerals were for the living. It was a ceremony for the living to remember the dead and think about them. But everyone in <Chaos> was already dead. A few lucky ones would have had their funerals while most were probably left out in the fields to become rotting corpses. But it didn’t matter as none of them knew what happened to their bodies.

However, <Chaos> did have ceremonies for those who perished.

On the third day after Jaehwan became the new Master, a ceremony was held for the perished spirits within Gorgon Keep. Euren stood on top of the podium and began reading out something with the help of the [Sound Amplification] skill.

“We know Aimel Grosheck. But we cannot bury him because he does not exist anywhere in this world. With the few memories given to us, he has become part of the Tree of Imagery, without his spirit nor his body.”

Ceremony of Spirit Flow. It was the name to remember the dead.

“We will not forget about Aimel Groscheck. For that, we will talk about him. Talk more and more about him so that we will have nothing to talk about him anymore.”

The purpose of the ceremony was to erase the trace of the perished. As the ceremony was held, they talked about the spirit, over and over again, and never mentioned it anymore once the ceremony was over.

This was the last gift that <Chaos> could give to those who had left.

Jaehwan finally knew the former Master’s name after he joined the ceremony.

Aimel Grosheck. The Master of Gorgon who gave the position to Jaehwan.

‘Damn old man.’

Jaehwan did not like the idea of taking part in this ceremony. It was because of the old man that he was now a Master. Euren glanced at Jaehwan time to time as he read on from the podium.

-Master! Please, you must join! You are the Master now!

Euren seemed to be satisfied that Jaehwan attended. He probably thought it was because to him that Jaehwan came down. But that wasn’t it. Jaehwan had his own purpose for attending this annoying ceremony.

Jaehwan glanced around at the people who attended. Messengers from other fortresses joined while Leaders of the Ten-Clan sent horns of horned monsters as gifts. A few of them had sent their Elders and officers to attend.

Nobody cried or became sad, but all of them talked about the Master.

Chunghuh cackled. He seemed calm for a man who had lost a friend he had known for 900 years.

“It’s the same as a funeral. It’s copying what the living do.”

“You should say that when you don’t get drunk.”

“What! I’m just copying the way to live life!”

Chunghuh shouted and gulped down his beer.

“If you have lived a thousand years like me, death doesn’t mean much. It’s rather a good thing. You are now freed from life.”

Jaehwan looked at the others and Chunghuh stepped out to the group and began dancing and singing. Jaehwan then turned to Euren. Before the ceremony started, Euren had told him the details.

-The ceremony will last for a week.

Jaehwan could already feel many looking at him.

-It’s the first time a stranger has become a Master. You need to watch out.