Chapter 33: Deadman (8)

...

‘…What is this man?!’

The commander tried to pull out his sword away, but it did not budge. He was a powerful man who had almost reached the 5th stage. But the man stopped his strike bare-handedly. Even if his attack did not contain Spiritual Power, there was no one who could block his attack with their bare hands.

‘[Order] doesn’t work on him?’

He had lived a hundred years in this fortress but he had never seen this happen before, a man who was not affected by [Order] and could block his attack with just bare hands. Whoever he was, he was probably a powerful man.

“…I don’t know who you are, but you must not block me from my duty. We’re just trying to stop a bigger disaster from happening.”

“Disaster?”

Jaehwan scoffed. “I don’t think killing Karlton will solve the matter. Isn’t your job to find the reason behind this rather than killing him?”

He was right. The commander knew what had happened. A group from the Golden Sky Clan had done something and corrupted Karlton’s spirit. It seemed that he had jumped in to save the civilians, but so what? The criminals were gone and there was no evidence. And Karlton was going to become a Dead Man.

“I’m only working to uphold the law.”

“The law. Yeah.”

Jaehwan used [Suspicion] and examined Karlton’s inventory.

‘He has it.’

Jaehwan reached out and took out a book. It was a book of law.

“Let me see… Special law, Chapter 1 line 4… Once the subject reaches 95% corruption level and begins to Morph, he or she will be put to death at once. Is this it?”

“…Yes.”

“So, if Karlton does not become a Dead Man, he will be saved?” Jaehwan asked as he took out a dark, black horn from his dimensional backpack.

“I think this will do.”

One of the doctors immediately recognized the horn.

“A Garnak horn!”

The commander had heard that someone had brought in the horn of pentahorn, but he did not know that this man was the owner.

“We might have a chance!”

The doctors agreed and the commander sheathed his sword. The man was right. If Karlton did not become a Dead Man, he didn’t need to be killed. However, the doctors didn’t look too delighted.

“But there’s a problem…”

The highest medicine usually sold were trihorns because it was hard to find someone who could process quadhorns or higher. The only one who might be able to do that was Meikal, the Vice Chief of <Twilight’s Fall>. But it was too late to call the Vice Chief and they were not sure if the proud blacksmith would agree to make medicine with his skills. Yet, the doctors were shocked once again.

“Isn’t this enough?”

The horn was crushed into turned into powder by Jaehwan. The doctors present trembled as they took the powder. They were not sure how much value this medicine held. The processed powder was sucked into the respirator and distributed to Karlton and Mino. As the horn powder was consumed, the corruption level stopped increasing and became steady. It did not purify the corruption, but it stopped the morphing.