Chapter 18: Silver Bind (2)

...

The <Great Lands>, the promised land.

Adapters who had lived for some time within the land knew what the 'Promised Land' stood for. The land did not promise any chances, but promised one thing.

It was related to death.

"...you can only come here when you die."

Jaehwan realized why he wasn't able to move to the <Great Lands> and had instead come to <Chaos>. If he had his body, he would've been able to move onto the <Great Lands>. But Jaehwan broke out of the tower after clearing the tutorial with only his spirit. That was why Tree of Imagery categorized him as a 'dead man' and sent him here.

It was the place where all spirits withered away from the Great Lands gathered.

That was Chaos.

Jaehwan looked at the naked people who were sent out in spirit form. They got out of the roots but were sent to the trunk. Most of them were men but some were women. However, they all had looks of despair. Some of them did not even realize that they were dead.

"So, this is the 'last chance' given by the damn <Great Lands>."

Mino spoke as she looked upon the summoning ground.

"If you die here, you're finished. The spirit will be sent as nutrients for the Tree. There are no more chances."

Jaehwan thought about the Red Fox members who had scattered away.

"So, the people here still have a 'chance'?"

"Yes."

"Is there a way to find a body?"

"It's a really small chance but if you survive here..."

It seemed brutal. Even after death, you still needed to find a way to 'survive'. Mino looked bitter as she at the people.

'That's why she's envious of me.'

She, too, had come here upon her death. It was a memory that no one wanted to think. Jaehwan's question, "How did you come to <Chaos>?" meant that he was asking, "How did you die?"

The rune faded and soldiers came over the bridge from the fortress entrance.

"Damn, there's a lot this time also. Let's get to work!"

A bearded man in a uniform shouted and soldiers began working to hold up the wounded.

"Hey! Get yourself together! You died because you're so helpless!"

The newcomers were escorted into the fortress by the soldiers. It seemed that it was their job to take care of the dead.

"Hey, put this on and go stand in the line."

Tens of people lined up in front of the office. Upon a small stage in front of the office stood the bearded man. He looked around and then spoke,

"You all probably know where you are by now. You might be thinking that it's not true, but it is. You all are 'REALLY' dead. Most of you probably died in the first battle of the <Great Lands>. Your heads were probably crushed or your intestines were blown out like insects."

Everyone's expressions became grim. What he said was true. Most of the people standing there had died as soon as they entered the <Great Lands>.

"Do any one of you know why you died?"