Chapter 99: Path of the Depth (8)

...

9th Region. Palace of the Lord of Darkness.

Laika barely managed to finish his report. Then came a low calm voice.

“I see… so that’s what had happened.”

Laika flinched at that voice. He even thought of running away instead of reporting it himself. It was that severe of a loss. They had lost three Greater Generals and ten Lesser Generals. It was too great to overlook. Besides, Sameng Garam was only a Greater General, but had the power equal to that of a Commander. And yet, he had died in <Chaos>. How did that happen?

“So… Garam died.”

Laika bowed his head in fear. The man in front of him was the right-hand man of the Lord of Darkness. He was mentioned by his title.

Strategist of the Darkness.

There were a lot of strategists and advisors, but when mentioned in the <Great Lands>, it usually meant this man.

Sameng Hoon.

He was the 2nd Commander of the 9th region and the Prince of the Sameng Family. He was also the older brother of Sameng Garam.

“I always thought he’ll move on like that.”

“…”

“How was his last moment? Was he satisfied?”

“…Y-yes, sir,” Laika answered. This man was most feared not because of his sheer might, but because of his vicious methods and deep knowledge.

“Look up.”

Laika looked up. He did not want to meet his eyes with the man, but he had no choice.

‘Please don’t kill me,’ Laika thought. He couldn’t understand what Sameng Hoon was thinking. Laika slowly lowered his head. He couldn’t bear to look into Sameng Hoon’s seemingly all-seeing eyes.

“A few days ago, I made a trip down to the <Roots>. I wanted to get some fresh air.”

…Roots? What direction was this story heading in?

“It was a world hidden by those [Nightmares], so I was looking forward to it. And it really was. I did not know such a world existed.”

Laika quickly thought. What was he talking about? Was he trying to send him out on a scout mission to the remote lands? No, he wasn’t. Then, Laika became hopeful.

‘Is he forgiving me?’

Maybe this man was thinking of forgiving him for some unknown reason.

‘I mean, I couldn’t do anything at all.’

Who would’ve guessed a [Product] could be that strong?

“And I brought that as my souvenir.”

Sameng Hoon pointed at a corner of the room. There was a picture Laika had never seen before.

‘What is that?’

It was a drawing with a beige background, with the crooked dark figure in the center. On the bottom, it was written [Ceci n’est pas une pipe], which he did not understand. They were not words that were used in the <Great Lands>.

“Isn’t it great?”

“It really is, sir!”

Laika agreed quickly. He didn’t know anything about it, and Sameng Hoon had brought it back.