Chapter 94: Path of the Depth (3)

...

War for the peace of <Chaos>? What was that even supposed to mean? Sirwen suddenly realized, if there was a war that would bring peace to <Chaos> in the end, it could only mean one thing.

“Are you… are you trying to take on the Lord of Darkness in <Chaos>?”

Laika had returned, so the message should have been delivered to the Lord of Darkness by now. But, even then…

“No… no way. The Lord of Darkness won’t come all the way here by himself…”

Sirwen began to mumble to herself in panic, while Jaehwan silently looked at her.

“Y-yes! A Lord cannot be absent from his seat or it will pose a great danger to him! A War of the <Great Lands> isn’t that easy!”

Jaehwan nodded. “I suppose so.”

“…Wait, did you already expect that?”

“Of course, but they might send a Commander or two.”

A Commander or two? Sirwen was dumbfounded.

“Are you out of your mind? They won’t just send one Commander. At least three… or four might come! And if we have members from the Renowned families, then it will pose an even greater danger!”

“Good. If we defeat them, then it will be the start.”

Sirwen silently stared at Jaehwan. He was right in some sense as having Commanders perish in <Chaos> would mean a great change in the balance of power in the <Great Lands>. The Lord of Darkness would become too busy keeping the peace in his own region because of missing Commanders and would not bother <Chaos> for a long time.

However, this was a scenario only if Jaehwan could defeat those Commanders.

“For your information, in case you don’t know, Commanders are much more powerful than Sameng Garam.”

“I know.”

“And in your current spiritual state, you have no chance at beating even one of them.”

“I guess I can’t deny that.”

Jaehwan’s spirit had been damaged because of the previous fight, yet he did not seem to be concerned.

“Are you here to ask that thought? I thought you weren’t interested in <Chaos>.”

Sirwen then glared at Jaehwan.

“…I’m here to get what I was promised.”

“Promised?” Jaehwan asked in reply, and Sirwen slowly breathed out and asked, “What did you get in the 8th gate of the Eight Gates of Hell?”

Record of the Depths.

That was the book Jaehwan had found. A memory of the being that created the skill. The story from after Mulack created the expedition team, and until the team returned.

“…Really?”

“Yeah.”

Sirwen trembled. It was unbeknownst to Jaehwan, but Sirwen had traveled to all parts of <Chaos> in search for any traces of her Godfather. Mulack, who was said to have reached the end of the <Depths>, disappeared after.

Yet there had been no traces. The members who went with Mulack on the expedition had long perished, and she couldn’t just climb up to the <Depths> and ask. The being at the entrance of the <Depths> didn’t allow her to pass through either.