Chapter 80: War of Revival (7)

...

The 7th gate of the Eight Gates of Hell.

Within the great white room were thousands of Jaehwan.

He expected to face something of this sort, but guessing and facing reality was very different. It was weird to look at himself, as Jaehwan had no chance to see himself in a mirror these days.

Did he look like that?

As he took a closer look, they all seemed to have different clothing or different features. Some seemed to be the same age while others looked younger or older.

Out of the thousands of Jaehwan, one of them asked, “Who are you?”

…Who am I?

Jaehwan felt it was weird to even answer that.

“I’m Jaehwan.”

“I see.”

“And so am I.”

With that, voices echoed from all around.

Who are you?

I’m Jaehwan.

I see. And so am I. And so am I, and so…

All of them stared at Jaehwan. And as they kept on talking for a while, one of them turned and asked, “Who are you?”

Jaehwan pulled out his sword.

Jaehwan felt like he was getting tired. There were tens of Jaehwan on the ground behind him. He frowned as he jumped back to keep a distance.

‘This is crazy.’

Nothing was working. If he used [Suspicion], they used [Suspicion]. And if he used [Understanding], they used [Understanding]. He even tried using [Strong Stab], but had to stop when he was faced with hundreds of Jaehwans posing to launch a [Strong Stab] at him.

‘That would kill me.’

These enemies weren’t like any he had faced so far.

Luckily, there was no Jaehwan stronger than himself, but it wasn’t easy to fight against hundreds of ‘Awakened’ Jaehwans.

After dodging a few stabs, Jaehwan deflected dozens of other stabs from behind and used [Strong Slash] against the Jaehwan charging at him. It worked wonderfully as they all were Jaehwan who only knew how to stab. But after doing it for a few times, the Jaehwans in front seemed to have learned the pattern and immediately dodged as Jaehwan slashed.

It was another ‘Jaehwan’ that got struck, the one in a green military uniform. Jaehwan frowned as he saw the uniform. Out of all those Jaehwans, there was a Jaehwan from his days on Earth. A Jaehwan who did not know anything about the Tower of Nightmares.

“ARGH!”

As he slashed his old self, he felt his conscious blurring into white.

It was when he was just 20 years old. Jaehwan realized it was his memory right before he was summoned into the Tower of Nightmares.

“I’m sorry, Sergeant Jaehwan… I’m sorry… I’m sorry…”

There was a man with the rank of Private First Class. He was crying. Jaehwan realized he knew this man. He then glanced around. There were soldiers and officers lying around, bleeding from gunshot wounds.

He felt his hair rising. He knew what this memory was.

“Sarge… I tried… I really did… You know this…