Chapter 27: Dead man (2)

...

Mino thought that everyone around her had met a bad fate since her days in the Tower of Nightmares. In fact, her nickname, ‘Witch of Massacre’, wasn’t something she actually acquired in <Chaos>.

When she was in the Tower of Nightmares, the first party she joined was attacked by monsters and was wiped out. She was the only survivor of the group. The people back then considered her to be ‘lucky’.

Mino felt strange. She felt like it was some kind of premonition.

It was only after the second and third party were wiped out that she knew for certain. She had survived all alone, again. People now were suspicious and began to wonder. After similar happenings occurred a few more times, people began to be wary of her and stayed far away.

-Is she the ‘Witch of Massacre?’

The witch who brought the monsters. The cursed woman who killed all her party members. People shunned and abandoned her. The abandoned 16-year-old girl… that was Mino. Mino later found out that her bad luck was her passive skill.

High-grade skill [Lure]

It was the sole hidden skill in her Tower of Nightmares. Mino still thought of the day of the clearing; about what might have happened if she did not have Claire and her other friends with her. When everyone shunned her and she faced clearing the tower alone, they were the ones who came to save her from the danger.

That was why Mino still trusted humans.

Even if there were terrible things in the world, even if the world was filled with evil people, there were still some good people. Some were not strong or did not have talent, but they would still willingly die for others.

Mino survived because of them.

She tried hard to become strong and survive. If she was cursed and brought misfortune to others, she needed to be stronger than the curse. Thus, she joined the Dark Forest clan. To learn powerful assassination skills and gain spiritual power. The result was in front of her.

[Girl, don’t hesitate if you’ve come this far.]

Claire was biting her lip hard. Her face was bruised and bleeding.

[Being weak doesn’t mean we don’t have the right to choose death.]

Mino became saddened.

[Hang in there, Auntie. I’ll save you.]

Claire smiled bitterly. She and Mino both knew that it was impossible, but Mino couldn’t give up. She glanced around. The situation was worse than expected. There were more than ten 3rd stage Adapters. The man in the center was even more powerful than what Mino could measure. They were much stronger than those Red Fox members.

There were not many organizations that had the ability to mobilize groups with these kinds of people within Gorgon Fortress. It was either the Ten-Clan or someone with power. There were only two from the Ten-Clan within the Fortress.

The Fire King Clan led by Kanghwang and the Arms Extreme Clan led by Shin Mukuk.

But these people didn’t seem to be related to either of those clans. Kanghwang was known for his freedom and Mukuk was known for his noble manners. Both would not allow themselves to do such dirty work. Besides, some of these men were comprised of assassination targets that she had been assigned to before.

‘Desert Serpent?’

Desert Serpent was a 3rd stage Adapter who hunted down newcomers in the desert region, east of <Chaos>. He hid his face with a mask but his cross-shaped scar on his eyes was not something he could cover. She couldn’t find him before and had to give up on the request, but here he was.