Chapter 21: World of 1% (1)

[There’s a world that you can never reach just by trying.]

- Meikal Garnad

Episode 4.
World of 1% (1)

In <Chaos>, there were outposts that allowed Adapters to rest while hunting. The most famous among them was the Three Palace’s Four Fortress. The four fortresses had considerably easier entry and allowed settlements that a lot of Adapters loved to visit. Gorgon Fortress was one of those four.

‘I should’ve just fought him.’

Jaehwan thought about Karlton reading the law to him.

Jaehwan did not trust anyone who spoke of laws. Even back in his tower, there were a lot who worked in law-related fields.

-All humans within the tower are equal.

They first began creating laws to protect the weak. It seemed reasonable to create laws as the tower was completely divided from the outside world. They made many laws and some even seemed to protect the weak.

But it was a lie.

The laws became things that only those who made them could understand and people fell prey to the laws that they did not even know about. They had to pay heavy taxes and had to hunt in controlled areas under the guise of ‘protection’. They were also only allowed to acquire weak skills and weapons.

The laws that worked considering all humans as equal had succumbed to skills, status, items, and levels.

The laws were weak against the strong, vicious against the weak, and became complicated to keep in place. When the tower was at its limit because of the society that the laws had created, the ones who created those laws disappeared into the past. They were abandoned.

Jaehwan made one law after the 85th floor.

All ‘humans’ live today.

That was the law he had been following all this time.

‘Anyway, this place is too complicated.’

Jaehwan frowned. He also had a burden. Mino still seemed to be dazed. She, however, did follow Jaehwan as he walked. It was annoying to take her with him, but he didn’t feel good to leave her be when she was the first ‘human’ that he had met. Jaehwan decided to walk around until Mino came back to her senses.

He walked through merchants selling various herbs, equipment, and various foods.

“I haven’t seen the castle master recently…”

“I heard he’s sick.”

“Hmm…”

After a long walk through many merchants, Jaehwan realized he had lost his way. He was now in a back alley of the bazaar. Deep in the alley, people that looked like gangsters were inhaling the ‘medicine’ that Mino took.

‘Where the hell am I?’

Jaehwan activated [Suspicion] and [Understanding]. It was so he could gather any information he heard from his surroundings. However, he ran into a problem. It was his first time visiting such a crowded place. He was bombarded with information and received a headache. That was when he obtained an important piece of information.

“Hey, it’s about time you woke up.”

Mino slowly came back to her senses.

“…why am I here?”

“Don’t ask and lead the way. I’m having a headache.”

Mino looked around and then guided Jaehwan.