TOO MUCH LABOUR

AUTHOR NOTE: Hey guys!!! This is an established Mergana/Arwen AU where Ygraine is alive and she and Morgana end up tearing into Uther and Arthur for the way they've been treating everybody. As always leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Inspired by the song labour by Paris Paloma which I'm obsessed with.

.....

QUEEN YGRAINE

Her Majesty glanced around the room noting that Merlin and Gwen were their servers tonight and couldn't help but glance at her children who were trying not to watch their every move and she couldn't help the small smile on her face.

"How is the training of the knights going?" Uther asked.

Arthur's shoulders tensed and she saw Gwen subtly brush a hand over his as she re-filled his goblet making him blush a little and she wasn't at all surprised when the tension eased and she shared a knowing look with Morgana who was hiding her own smirk behind her goblet.

"You have a long patrol coming up and I don't want any of them slacking" Uther continued oblivious to the scene playing out in front of him.

Arthur nodded "Of course father"

Uther took a sip of his wine "I also need you to go over the recent reports from the lower town and take inventory of the castle" Uther continued to rattle off Arthur's list of duties he wanted him to get done and she sighed giving her husband a disappointed look (not that he noticed) as Arthur's expression turned weary and worn as his list grew. Merlin narrowed his eyes, the torches flickering and she cleared her throat making him glance at her in surprise as she lifted her goblet. 

She'd known of Merlin's magic since he came to Camelot but he was usually more careful with it and as he bent to fill her goblet she whispered "Be careful your controls slipping" he almost dropped the pitcher in surprise but she had quicker reflexes and managed to grab it before it slipped from his grasp too far.

"You have nothing to fear from me Merlin I've known about you for a long time" she continued trying to ease the flash of fear in his gaze.

She had heard of the prophecy from his father Balinor.....before he'd became a father and Uther had gone on his odd rampage fearing that something was going to befall them for how Arthur had been conceived. She knew that Arthur needed Merlin just as much as Merlin needed Arthur and if she could protect both then she will even against her own husband.

Knowing that their time was up she turned back to the table letting him slip back into the shadows and hoping she hadn't just given the poor boy a heart attack as she could see his hands shaking as he re-filled Morgana's cup. Morgana gave him a worried look brushing her hand against his in silent comfort but was unable to ask as Uther started on her and she noticed Merlin tense even further clearly not impressed with the way Uther was talking to them and she met his eyes trying to convey reassurance as she placed a hand on Uther's arm and giving him a knowing look. 

She was going to have to speak to him about the way he was treating their son and his daughter.

Morgana gave her a grateful look as she said "I was thinking we could go for a ride tomorrow morning My Lady"

"That sounds like a great idea your Majesty" she said grinning happy to spend some time with her.

They would often catch each other up on court gossip all though she was more interested in the state of their health and possibly their love lives at the moment.