Chapter 40

Author's pov

Pete's chest tightened to think what happened after his mom, dad passed away. It was a lesson of how cruel the world can be at certain circumstances and he leaned it at a very early age.

"I was thrown into an orphanage at the age of eight. No one listened to my cries of hunger there or took care of me when I was burning from fever. I had to work on a daily basis after school to put food into my mouth. I spent days on the streets at the age of eighteen with no food or money"

The poor boy sniffled as he recalled those nightmarish memories.

Vegas's eyes hardened. He tasted something like iron on his tongue. Then realised that it was his own blood. He bit inside his cheek to prevent his emotions from showing.
He felt like a real monster for hurting Pete. The things this delicate boy has been through made Vegas's own sufferings look close to nothing. He would say he had a rather comfortable life. His uncle raised him and his brother like his own son.

Pete was so strong for enduring all these days of miseries and still being able to smile like a ray of sunshine. Unknowingly he won Vegas's admiration .

"So I kind of know how it feels to grow up without the affection of parents" Pete smiled bitterly wiping his tears.

"I..." Vegas tried again but his words died in his throat. Has his ego become bigger than his remaining humanity? But then again, he was never taught to be a good human being. He was trained to be a killing machine to avange his parents' death.

Pete chuckled.
"You don't have to, Mr. Vegas. I don't need any sort of pity"

Vegas stood like a stone. What was so tough? He just have to utter those three words. His throat felt clogged.

"I p-probably wasted your time. Sorry for that. I'll leave now, I'm still on duty" Pete stated walking towards the door.

"Pete wait"

The said boy halted in his actions when he heard his name slipping past Vegas's lips for the first time. It sounded smooth like velvet and soft like cotton. His name has never sounded this way before.

Pete didn't turn around. He wouldn't be able to look at Vegas without his heart doing stupid things.

His hand that was about to grab the door knob fell back on his side as he stood there facing the door. He was anticipating what the other would say. He heard Vegas taking a deep breath. Pete was sure the latter will fail again. He was ready to open the door and walk away.

"I am sorry..."

The words made Pete's heart beat thousand times faster. Did he hear that correct? His ears must be playing tricks on him. There's no way Vegas just apologised to him.

Vegas had this sincere look of sorrow on his face when he muttered again,

"I'm sorry for everything...for all the things I've said and done to you"

Pete walked out leaving Vegas standing in the room alone, pondering if he even deserves forgiveness.

I wanna squeeze his cheeks, boop his nose and give him forehead kithes 🤍