Chapter 68

Author's pov

"Hm...but I see a complete different reason"

Vegas looked at Kinn with no emotion.

"What do you mean?"

"You killed that guard because he touched the guy you're head over heels for" Kinn blurted out.

Vegas's hard exterior wavered for a second before he composed himself and scoffed.

"Bullshit !" He exclaimed but became quiet after not finding anything to say.

"Oh is that so ? What was his name again? A petite guy with delicate features......yeah Pete" Kinn said as he enjoyed the suppressed anger of his cousin brother.

Vegas's expression became stone cold.

"He has nothing to do with it and I don't care what happens to him" he muttered.

"Really? Then how about I take him in my room to warm my bed for a night ? You certainly won't mind"

Then came the sound of glass shattering. Kinn's shirt collar was harshly grabbed as Vegas glared at him .

"Say that one more time and I'll forget you're my family" Vegas gritted through clenched jaw.

Kinn only smiled smugly in return.

"This is what I thought. You love that guy but you're still in denial"

Vegas realised what he has done in the influence of rage. He pushed Kinn away and ran a hand through his hair.

"Love is for the wea-"

"That excuse is way too old. Real love makes you strong, not weak. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone with your whole being...gives you courage to face any obstacle" Kinn said admiring the sky.

"Love is an untamed force. When you try to control it, it destroys you. When you try to understand it, it leaves you confused. Love takes off masks that you fear you cannot live without and know you cannot live within" Kinn paused, put the glass of wine away and continued.

"So let your brain rest for a while and let your heart do all the work"

Saying this, Kinn got up from his seat and patted Vegas's shoulder before walking away.

Vegas was left pondering about the older's words. He knew, from the beginning, Kinn is a man who wants a family and he doesn't try to hide this fact.

But what about him ? Does he want a partner? A family?

Losing the most important people of his life at an early age made him like a lovesick cat who longs for a family and the touch of his beloved. But he hides these urges in the far corner of his heart. His fear and trauma makes him put on a mask of a heartless maniac. He is afraid to show his true self to anyone. What if he gets close to someone and history just repeats itself?

The path he is on, is the least safe. He won't be able to witness the death of someone who is dear to him.

But this is what his brain is telling him, has been telling him for years. He is tired ; tired of carrying the burden of awful memories, full of sadness and misery. Just because he carries it well, doesn't mean it isn't difficult.

'...let your heart do all the work'

Kinn's advice echoed in Vegas's ears as he was lost deep in thoughts.

Bibs, hon, you're...um..staring 😀