Chapter 11

It is now the following morning, and Lena is awoken by a gentle knock on her bedroom door. The brunette opens her eyes and takes a moment to just gather her thoughts, with everything that happened last night coming back to her.

"Yeah?" Lena eventually calls out, expecting it to be Sam walking into her room.

Lena's bedroom door opens, and much to the 40-year-old's surprise, Natalie and Ashley come timidly walking into the room.

"Girls? What..... what are you doing in here?" Lena asks, surprised, "Am I up late to take you to school?"

"No." Natalie says, in a nervous voice.

"Then what is it?" Lena asks, confused.

"We wanted to talk to you." Ashley says.

"About what?" Lena asks.

"About what aunt Sam told us last night." Natalie says.

"What.... what did she tell you?" Lena asks, hesitantly.

"She told us that... last night you were upset.... because of us.... and.... how we have been treating you." Ashley says.

"And she also told us.... that má is the reason that you got a divorce.... not you. She told us that..... you didn't want to stay in your marriage with má for several years.... before you finally got a divorce..... and you only wanted to stay in the marriage because of us....... But then you finally got a divorce and left..... because má claimed Eve....." Natalie says.

After Natalie and Ashley finish speaking, Lena sits on her bed in silence for a few moments, not really sure what she should say next, and not too sure where her daughters are going with this.

"I...... yes..... that is all true." Lena eventually says.

Natalie and Ashley turn and look at each other with concerned looks on their faces, before turning back to look at Lena.

"Then..... why didn't you tell us?" Ashley asks, "You let má tell us that you were the one leaving, and you left because you didn't love má anymore. You never told us you left because of what má did."

Lena looks at her two daughters and sighs.

"The truth is, I was scared." Lena admits, "I was going to tell you, and explain everything that was going on, even though you were both a few years younger than you are now. I thought you both deserved to know the truth. However, I hadn't anticipated that Andrea would get to you first, and tell you, whatever she told you, which I'm guessing is untrue. Then after that, the two of you didn't give me a chance to explain, you just said you wanted to stay living with Andrea when I decided to leave, and that hurt my heart, a lot. Then after that..... things just got worse.... You didn't want to spend time with me.... You have been.... acting like I am the enemy.... and to blame for everything..... Then at the same time, I literally have to fight, both you, and Andrea, to get to spend time with you."

"That's not true." Natalie says, speaking up, "Má told us that when you were getting a divorce, and the lawyers were splitting up your things, you didn't want us to live with you, that you only wanted us to stay with you on weekends."

"That is a load of rubbish." Lena says, angrily, "I fought very hard for you both. I wanted to have complete custody of the both of you, with Andrea only getting to see you on weekends, or supervised visits. But even though I thought that, I offered Andrea shared custody, so we would get you equally, but she refused that, and demanded full custody herself. After that... I don't know the details of what happened.... but..... I'm pretty sure she bribed the.... judge who was overseeing our case.... which meant I only got limited custody of you two on weekends. I could have appealed it, but if I did, I was worried that if I went to court, the two of you would have been put on the stands, and I didn't want you to go through that. Plus, I was scared that you would just come out and say that you wanted to remaining living with Andrea permanently, like you had said to me already."