Chapter 41

Kara, Lena, Natalie and Ashley have now just arrived at the lake area, which Kara wanted to show them. Right now, they are basically on the other side of the lake compared to where Eliza's house is. On a clear day, and with some help from a telescope, you might be able to actually see them from Eliza's balcony at the front of her house. However, today is not a clear day. Not because the weather is bad or anything, but because the lake has mist still hanging over it, out in the distance, towards the middle of the lake, obstructing the view. None the less, the sights which Lena, Natalie and Ashley are seeing right now are completely breath taking. It truly shows off the beauty of nature.

"Here we are." Kara smiles, as she walks onto the stone beach, followed by Lena, Natalie and Ashley.

"This place.... is really beautiful Kara." Lena says, "I mean.... look at everything around us."

As Lena looks around, not only does she see a beautiful large lake in front of her, with a small little island in the middle of it, but the lake itself is mostly surrounded by green from the forest area which completely circles Midvale. It makes Lena think that right here might just be the freshest air that she has ever breathed.

"I know." Kara smiles, happy that Lena clearly likes the lake so far, "What do you think, Natalie, Ashley?"

"It's really pretty." Natalie says.

"Yeah. It's cool." Ashley replies, "Do people take boats here?"

"No." Kara says, "Or, at least not big boats. The lake is not deep enough for there to be actual boats in it. But I have seen people take out canoes before, and little tiny boats that you move through the water using paddles.

"Is there fish in these lakes?" Lena asks.

"Yes." Kara nods, "Although, this lake, you are not allowed to fish in. They don't want various populations of fish to diminish in the area. So, people are only allowed to fish in a few of the other lakes a few miles from here."

"That's..... an interesting approach to fish population management." Lena says, "I would have thought that would be something more so done in bigger rural towns, or perhaps cities that have a lake or something."

"Midvale has a lot of science stuff going on around this area." Kara explains, "I mean, Eliza literally does science work here, in a place that does all sorts of scientific study. So, I imagine the environmental population management of fish might come into their purview. Or at least, they may have campaigned for it or something."

"Hmm I see your point." Lena replies.

The group then just walk about the lake shore for a little while, taking in more of the beauty that surrounds them, and breathing in the fresh air.

"Kara, do you have a story about this place too? Like you have with the others?" Ashley asks Kara, after a few minutes of them just walking and looking around in silence.

"Uhhh.... not really." Kara says, "Or at least, not anything that springs to mind. This place was just somewhere where Alex and I kind of got some independence from Eliza. Seeing as it wasn't too far away from our house. And on some clear days we could see it from here. Eliza would be happy for us to go out here whenever we liked, as long as we were together. However, there isn't really much to do here. The water is far too cold to swim in. Well, that's the experience that Alex and I had, on the single occasion that we did try and go in the water."

"I can only imagine just how cold this water must be. Even now, with it being rather mild out." Lena says.

"Yeah." Kara nods, "Alex and I tried it in the middle of summer, when it was hot. We did it mostly to cool down. However, it was, and I guess still is, absolutely freezing."