THIRTY-THREE

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗖𝗘

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREEjuliet & barry

juliet & barry

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

JULIET STOOD BY the coffee machines in the hospital. She was waiting there with Joe, Rob (Captain Singh's husband), and Barry, who had immediately rushed to the hospital once Juliet told him over text what happened and apologized profusely for not being there. Juliet was in the midst of making Joe and Rob coffees since Barry declined, maybe to escape and think about her own guilt for a second. She tapped her fingers against the counter as the coffee poured into the cup. If she had gotten there earlier, if she had done things differently, maybe Captain Singh would be okay.

The coffee stopped pouring. Juliet took the now-full cup and added some milk and sugar to it before placing a lid on top. She grabbed the two coffees and wandered back to the waiting room. Joe was sitting in a chair, his knee anxiously bouncing up and down. Juliet offered him a tight smile as she handed him his coffee. She then went to Rob, who was standing next to Barry with his arms crossed.

Rob took the coffee from her. "Thank you, Juliet."

"No problem," Juliet replied.

"This isn't how I thought I'd finally meet David's co-workers." His eyes flickered from her to Barry. "He speaks very highly of you two."

Juliet glanced up at Barry for a moment, her heart warming. "Does he?"

"David's all bark," Rob told them. "A very loud bark."

The door to Captain Singh's room then opened. Juliet straightened up and looked at it to see that a doctor was coming out of it.

Joe instantly stood up. "How is he, doctor?"

"We're stabilizing him," the doctor revealed.

Rob immediately walked closer to the doctor, leaving Juliet and Barry behind. Juliet instinctively linked her arm through Barry's, maybe as a grounding mechanism or maybe because she just didn't want to be alone.

"He's experiencing some paralysis in his lower extremities."

"Oh my God," Rob said.

"The hardest thing to gage right now is the extent of his neurocognitive deficits," the doctor continued. "He may not be the same person you remember."