37

"You can expect it to be beautiful" 

She breaks eye contact and blushes before replying.

"You were always cheesy, and from what I can see, you still are" Me? Cheesy?

"I'm serious about it. It's really going to surprise you! Promise!'

"You've become such a child," She says, chuckling.

"I told you already, I'm not the same person as before"

"That's relieving, but... I do kind of miss your old self. Minus the crimes and illegal business you were doing" So, she doesn't miss me at all?

"I... am still me, Mina. I just don't do illegal things anymore"

"Oh really? You're still the same you? I would still be in love with you if we were" 

Ouch...

"Mina... but I thought you wanted me to change?? Or am I really not enough!?

"I did want you to change! And I'm glad you did change! What more do you want from me?! I'm happy with who you are! Do you not want me to be happy?!" 

"No... it's... I've changed for you. For you."

"That's your mistake then. I'm happy that you changed for me, but clearly, you're not happy that you changed yourself"

"Don't misunderstand the situation here" 

Shit. What am I doing? Why am I forcing her!?

"Y/N, get out. I need space"

Finally, it hits me. How am I so defensive and why am I forcing her to like me?

"Mina, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to explain that I've changed"

"You have done a great job of showing how much you've changed. So this is what you've become, huh?"

Of course, I've managed to make things worse. As if she's not stressed enough. Out of respect, I leave the room to give her space. 

The elevator door opens to reveal the cafeteria which has a few employees eating snacks and drinking coffee.

Similar to them, I buy coffee and sit alone at an empty table. I peacefully meditate and reflect on what I just said to her a while ago; that is until I get interrupted by a random stranger.

"Hello, are you new here? I've never seen you around" She asks

"Me? No, I'm just reflecting about a while ago"

"What happened? Were you taking an interview, or a business meeting?"

"Your boss, Mina. Have you spoken to her?"

"Huh? Ms. Myoui? Well, only to greet her, but never actually spoke to her. I have many bosses before reaching the top, you know?"

"I understand, but is she always stressed? Like, am I a nuisance if I just try to talk to her like I did before?"

"W-what are you talking about? I frankly don't know, but she probably is always tired. Most of the time, she looks frustrated when she rushes to leave the office. Yet again, I don't ever see her here, so I don't know" So she's that busy? She built everything from the ground up, but also on her own. 

"Did she have any help?"

"You mean investors? Yeah, they did come through after a while when she started" 

That's not what I meant, but I'll take that as a no.

"Why are you so curious about her anyway? I barely know anything about her, so it's hard for me to answer these questions"