➊➊

𝐂 𝐡 𝐚 𝐩 𝐭 𝐞 𝐫 - 𝟏𝟏
⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Y/N 's POV

Next morning
My first patient today eight year-old Park Yuna, was a puzzle.

"It started six weeks ago." Yuna's mum said "She'd been at football club and came home with really red cheeks. It looked a bit like windburn, but it seemed a bit odd because it's not that cold and windy at the end of April. Then she went down with a really nasty virus. It hit the whole family and even I was in bed for three days with it."

A rash and a virus. Two things that were really hard to narrow down, and half the time there wasn't an effective treatment and you just had to wait it out. I thought as Mrs Park explains the situation with Yuna.

I smiled and waited for Mrs Park to continue.

"The rash didn't go away and it spread down he arms and legs. She said her legs hurt, she had pains in her tummy, and it hurt to swallow." Mrs Park grimaced. "Then she was really down and a bit weepy which just isn't my Yuna. I took her to the doctor."

"What did your GP say?" I asked.

"He thought it might be allergic eczema, but my youngest has eczema and I'm really careful with laundry detergent and conditioner. Yuna's never had any kind of reaction to food, and that rash didn't look like any eczema I've ever seen." Mrs Park sighed. "I think he referred Yuna here just to shut me up."

Seeing that she was close to tears, I put a re assuring hand on her arm. "Mrs Park, when our mums tell us that their kids aren't right, we listen. You're the experts on your kids, so you know when there's something wrong. It's our job to listen and help you."

"Thank you." Mrs Park swallowed hard. "I know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, but I wondered if the rash was some kind of autoimmune thing."

"That's a possibility." I said. "Rashes have lots of different causes and they can be really tricky to diagnose. And you're absolutely right not to believe everythrina you read on the Internet, because there are a lot of fake and made up stories out there."

I turned to the little girl. "Yuna, is it OK if I examine you?"

Yuna nodded.

I looked at the rash. Coupled with the pain in Yuna's legs and tummy, and her difficulty in swallowing, the rash could well be a sign of an autoimmune problem but I wasn't sure quite which one.

"I've not seen a rash like this before." I said. "I think you're right, Mrs Park, and it's very likely an autoimmune disease. Do you mind if I have a quick discussion with one of my more senior colleagues?"

"As long as you can find out what's wrong with Yuna and make her better, then do whatever you need to." Mrs Park said.

I headed for the offices. None of the consultants was around but Leeknow was in his office. Given that he was one of my senior and had three or four years more experience than I did, there was a chance that he'd seen a condition like Yuna's before.

I rapped on his office door. "Leeknow, have you got a minute, please?"

"Sure." he said.

"How are you on autoimmune diseases?"I asked.

"I've treated a few in my time." he said. "What are you looking at?"

"I'm not entirely sure." I filled him in on Yuna's medical history and symptoms.

"I can see you're busy so I'm sorry to ask but I'm a bit stuck. I don't suppose I could borrow you to come and have a look at her, could I?" I asked.

"Sure."he said. To my relief and saved the file he was working on.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Leeknow's POV
After Y/N came and asked whether I could help her with her patient,we went together to her ward.

She introduced me to the Parks. I examined Yuna's skin.

"Mrs Park, has anyone talked to you about juvenile dermatomyositis or JDM?"I asked.

Mrs Park looked surprised and said "No. The GP just sent me here."

"It's pretty rare, with about three in a million children being affected, and girls are twice as likely as boys to have it." I said. "Basically 'dermatomyositis'
means inflammation of the skin and muscles and from what Y/N's already told me and what I can see here, it looks to me as if that's what's happening to Yuna."

"What causes it?"Mrs Park asked.

"We don't actually know." I said.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Do vote and support ❤️😊