⑤⑥

𝐂 𝐡 𝐚 𝐩 𝐭 𝐞 𝐫 - 𝟓𝟔
⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Leeknow's POV
When I saw the photographs attached to the file I caught my breath. It was a photograph of Eunha  wearing a blue dress and holdings pink balloon bearing the slogan "3 Today" in glittery silver writing.

My little girl, on the birthday I had missed. I had to blink away the tears.

Why had Soojin sent this now?

The words of the email blurred before my eyes and I had to read it three times before the message sank in. Soojin was moving back to Korea with Seungmin, who had a new job. They were happy, they had gotten married and they had a little boy, a brother for Eunha, the previous month. She realised she'd been unfair to me, so if I'd like to see Eunha once they had settled in I would be very welcome to come round.

If I would like to see Eunha?

My heart felt as if it had just cracked. She added the caveat

'We probably need to talk first and agree what we tell her about you. Maybe you could be her Uncle Leeknow.'

Not Dada. Not the man who'd held her when she was only a few seconds old, who'd brought her up as my little girl. That stung. But the important thing was that I could still be part of her life. The thing I had wanted so desperately and missed so much.

I looked at the photo again. Eunha had changed so much in the last eighteen months ,then again, I knew from my niece and nephew that changed very swiftly. I wondered if she'd become a total chatterbox, if she still loved having stories read to her, if she liked singing or dancing or messy play. Right now I didn't have a clue.

But what hadn't changed was the brightness of her smile. She looked happy. And that was what I had wanted to know more than anything. That my little girl was happy.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Y/N's POV
Once I had booked the appointment for Mrs Min and Eunha with the cardiac team, reassured Mrs Min further and given her all the information leaflets and information about support groups, I went in search of Leeknow.

Hopefully I would be able catch him before his clinic and I could talk to him, thank him for his help and maybe try to bridge the gap between them. If nothing else, it would make things easier at work.

When I rapped on his door, he looked up. The expression on his face was slightly dazed.

Was he OK?

He beckoned me in and I closed the door behind me. Close up, I could see that he had wet eyes.

Something was definitely wrong.

"Right-start talking." I said.

"I........" His voice tailed off and he shook his head.

For him to have tears in his eyes, something serious must have happened. Was someone in his family seriously ill or worse had there been an accident?

I couldn't just switch off my feelings or ignore it. He was clearly hurting and her first instinct was to make it better.

"Leeknow, I know we're not exactly getting on right now, and you're the King of Clamming Up but I do care about you and I'm here. Something's obviously happened, or your eyes wouldn't be wet."

"Eunha......." he said helplessly.

Oh, no. Worse than I had thought.

"Something's happened to her?" I asked carefully.

"I............Oh, it'll be easier for you to see it yourself "He handed me his phone with the email open.

I could see that the message was from Soojin and there was a picture attached of a little girl that I assumed was Eunha. On her third birthday, by the look of it. The day me and Leeknow had been in Italy.

"Leeknow, this is personal."I said warily.

"Read it."he said.

I scanned it swiftly, and I felt my eyes widen in surprise. "She's actually going to let you see Eunha?"

He nodded and said "I can't believe it, either. But it's there in black and white. She's even given me her new phone number so I can call her and arrange to meet."

"What made her change her mind?"
I asked

"I have no idea. Maybe it's because they're coming back to Korea and maybe her parents talked to her." He shrugged. "Maybe now they've had another baby, it's made Seungmin realise what they took from me and he's talked to her about it. But the main thing is she's actually going to let me see Eunha."

"That's good. I'm glad for you.'" I said.

He rubbed his eyes "Y/N, I have to go to clinic....... it's not fair to my patients to be late but maybe can we perhaps talk afterwards?"

"After our shift." I said. "Sure. I'll meet you at the main entrance."

"Thank you." He looked at me "Was there someing you needed?"

Yes but I wasn't going to ask and risk being rejected again.

" I just came to let you know that Min Eunha is booked in with the cardio team and to say thanks for your help."
I said

"It's my job." he said.

And our  job was all we had together now. I got it. "OK."

"I'll see you later." he said.

"We'll talk." I said.

Will we go back to being together again?