③⑥

𝐂 𝐡 𝐚 𝐩 𝐭 𝐞 𝐫 - 𝟑𝟔
⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Leeknow's POV
As I started off my story she didn't leap in with questions. But she held my hand very tightly, just letting me know that she was there.

I braved a glance. There was only concern in her face. Gentleness, warmth, kindness.

I stared at the sea. Now I had made up his mind to talk butt just why wouldn't the words come?

"You don't have to talk if you don't want to." she said. "But, if it helps I'm not going to judge you and everything that you say to me will be strictly in
confidence."

Funny, I hadn't even considered that. I already knew that that Y/N wasn't a gossip. "Thank you." I said.

I was silent for what felt like minutes, though it was probably only a few seconds. And then I swallowed hard.
"I met Soojin at a party. She was a nurse in the emergency department at the States, where we both worked. We started dating and I fell for her. She was funny and sweet and smart. We had  been together for about six months when she told me she was pregnant." I continued staring out to sea. "The baby wasn't planned but it didn't matter. We were going to be a family. I loved her and thought that she loved me. I asked her to marry me and she said yes."

Now I had actually started talking, the words out in a rush. "What I didn't know was that Soojin had an on-again, off-again relationship with a guy she'd gone to school with. Seungmin had fallen in with a bad crowd in his teens and started taking cars for joyriding. He'd been in court for it a couple of times but it went from there to petty theft and then burglary. He was caught and sent to prison for a few months. Soojin broke up with him because he broke his promise to her to go straight and that was the night she met me. When he was released from prison, he asked to see her. She told him it was over but I guess they had a moment for old times' sake. Because he thought it was over between them for good in his eyes there wasn't any point in trying to go straight so he ended up back with his old crowd. He was arrested for burglary and sent back to prison-this time for two years. And I suppose Soojin panicked when she realised she was pregnant ."

"Because she looked at the timing and couldn't be sure if the baby was yours or his, and he would still be in prison when the baby was born?" Y/N  guessed.

I nodded. "She talked it over with her family. They all liked me and they persuaded her I'd be a much better dad to the baby and a better partner for her than Seungmin would." I grimaced. "I should've seen all the clues and worked it out for myself but I didn't. I just took everything she said at face value. She said she didn't want to get married until after the baby was
born because she didn't want to be pregnant in her wedding dress. I know it's sexist of me but I put it down to pregnancy hormones."

"It was a reasonable guess."Y/N said.

I sighed. " I didn't push her because I didn't want to pressurise her. I tried to be understanding. But, because we weren't married when she had Eunha, she didn't put my name on Eunha's birth certificate. She said it didn't feel right to do that when we weren't
married and she'd get it changed as soon as we got married but then she just didn't get round to it. Again maybe I was sexist but I assumed some of it was post pregnancy hormones and some of it was because it just isn't that easy to adjust to having a baby. I talked to a colleague to see how I could make things better, in case she had post-natal depression."

Y/N squeezed my hand. "That's not sexist, it's thoughtful. Putting yourself in her shoes and actually considering that things might not be OK for her!"

"It didn't ever occur to me that there was someone else. That she snapped at me all the time because I wasn't the one she wanted around, and that made her feel guilty and snap at me even more. I tried to be a decent, supportive husband and a good father."

And that was the rub. Maybe I hadn't been a great husband  but I knew I had been a good dad.

"I fell in love with Eunha, the moment I first held her."  I said softly. "She was my little girl." I looked away again. "And then when Eunha was eighteen months old, Seungmin was released from prison. He came round saying that his mum had told him about the baby and he'd worked out the dates and knew Eunha was his. This time, he really would go straight for his
daughter's sake. He wanted to be a family with them." I blew out a breath.

"Seungmin was the love of Soojin's life and he told her what she wanted to hear. To be honest, once I'd seen his picture, it was pretty obvious that Eunha was Seungmin's daughter. They both had the same features.  I could see that Eunha was his." My face tightened.

"Soojin did a DNA test without telling me, and the results proffed that......."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Was Eunha really Leeknow's daughter.....
What was the result of the DNA test...??

Do vote and support ❤️😊