➎➎

𝐂 𝐡 𝐚 𝐩 𝐭 𝐞 𝐫 - 𝟓𝟓
⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Leeknow's POV
I shook my head and said "The surgeon will make a small cut-not even as long as your thumb-under her collar bone on her left-hand side so he can make a pocket for the pacemaker box and thread an electrode lead into a vein. He'll use an X-ray to help him put the lead in the right place in Eunha's heart, then connect it to the box and fit it in the pocket."

"They use dissolvable stitches when they close the cut." Y/N said "So she won't have to have any stitches removed. And when you see the surgeon, he'll show you what the pacemaker looks like and I think that'll reassure you."

"Once she's awake again, she'll go back onto our ward and the team here will check her wound dressing and give her antibiotics to make sure she doesn't get an infection." I said.

"Eunha will have another X-ray, the next day, to make sure the pacemaker lead is in the right place." Y/N said. "We recommend she doesn't do any really active things like the toddler gym club for about three weeks after the operation, and during that time it's a good idea not to let her make big movements with her arm on the side where the pacemaker's fitted, to make sure the leads don't move."

"Will it hurt after the operation?" Mrs Min asked.

"It might be a little bit sore." I said. "We can give her some infant paracetamol to help with that, but it's important she doesn't pick at the wound or scratch it, or it might get infected."

"And then after that she'll be better?" Mrs Min asked.

"She should be better." Y/N said "and she can live a normal life-though we would advise that you don't let her take up contact sports like karate."

"The pacemaker will set off any alarm detector at the airport." I said "but we'll give you a card you can show to security staff. She won't be able to have an MRI scan with a pacemaker, and if you've got an induction hob in your kitchen she needs to stay away from it, because the magnets will interfere with the settings of her pacemaker."

"And if she does look at things on your mobile phone, make sure the phone's in the opposite hand to where the pacemaker's fitted." Y/N said.

"Will she have a pacemaker for the rest of her life and will she need a different pacemaker when she's bigger?" Mrs Min asked.

"To the first, we don't know. It depends how she responds to treatment. The pacemaker will last for about four or five years." Y/N said "and then she'll need it to be replaced."

"It's a lot to take in." I said. "We can give you some leaflets about Eunha's heart condition and about the pacemaker, and you'll probably have more questions over the next few days. Come and see us or give us a call, and we'll do our best to answer."

"Thank you." Mrs Min said. "I'm still trying to get my head round the fact she's so ill."

"We can put you in touch with a support group, too." Y/N said. "It'll help to talk to other mums who've already been through this. But I would advise not read- ing too much on the Internet. You tend to get the really scary stuff there."

"I guess it's like when you're pregnant." Mrs Min said "and you hear about all the really awful labours people have been through and not the ones that just went normally."

"Pretty much." I said with a smile. "Pacemakers have been around now for around fifty years and about five hundred people in Korea get a pacemaker fitted every week."

Mrs Min looked surprised. "As many as that?" I nodded. "So our cardiac team is really used to doing the procedure. Eunha will be in excellent hands."

Mrs Min blew out a breath. "Thank you for that. I feel a bit better about it."

Y/N smiled at her. "We'll have Eunha feeling better soon. And then you'll be less worried."

"Y/N will sort everything out for you. I'm afraid I'm due in clinic shortly and there are some things I need to do before I see my patients."  I said. "Thank you, Doctor." Mrs Min said.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Y/N 's POV
"Yes-thank you, Dr Lee." I added.

"It's what I'm here for." Leeknow said but my smile was solely directed towards Mrs Min and her daughter. He didn't even look me in the eye.

At least he too had put their patients first. And things would get easier between us on the ward. Eventually. It would just take a bit of time. And as for how long it would take me to get over him.

I  just have to focus on my job.

Y/N focus on your work !!

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Leeknow's POV
I was checking through some files at his desk before clinic when my phone beeped. I took it out of my pocket and glanced at the screen.

When I saw the notification, I nearly dropped the phone in shock.

Why would Soojin be emailing me?

And it looked as if there was an attachment to her email. Maybe it was a mistake, then and someone had hacked into her account and sent a message to everyone who'd ever been in her contact list.

I went into my email account to delete the message unread but accidentally clicked on the message.