4: dorayaki

"what happened to you?" he repeated, his eyes searching yours, as if they held the answers to his question.

your mouth parted in surprise. what a wild change in pace.

"ah, i.. dropped out of university, and it's hard to get a job without formal education in japan." you told him.

"why'd you drop out?"

his tone wasn't as intense as before. he seemed to be actually curious.

"... something personal came up." you said finally, hoping that was the end of his questioning.

you hoped wrong.

"what was it?" he inquired, cocking his head to the side. he seemed like he genuinely wanted to know.

his look was enough for the truth to spill out from your lips.

"my.. my brother died." you tried to not let your voice shake as you discussed the most upsetting event of your life. "i was off in america when it happened. so i came back to take care of things."

the back of your throat burned as you recalled the memories of getting a phone call that fateful day.

you were walking with your friends to class during the first week of classes of your senior year in college when your phone rang. you saw the caller ID was withheld, but you decided to answer anyway.

the words you heard would change the course of your life.

after that, you decided to drop out of university and decided to come back to japan. your last remaining anchor in this world was gone, and so was your motivation to complete your degree.

you felt tears prick your eyes, but you squeezed them shut. you didn't want to let this man see you cry.

you felt a pair of hands reach out, holding your face gently. your eyes flew open, shocked by the touch.

in front of you sat the boss, cupping your face, looking at you with a soft and concerned smile.

a single tear rolled down your cheek as your lips parted to speak, but you couldn't find any words. he lifted one of his thumbs to brush it off your cheek.

you found your voice and let out a little laugh, embarrassed at your tears. "sorry."

"that's okay. you're probably a big cry baby, huh?" he gave you a smug smile.

his expression made you laugh again. "what do you mean?"

"nothing." he wiped away another tear. his touch was so soft and gentle. his thumb continued to brush against your skin as he said, "i lost my brother, too. a long time ago."

you were speechless. the man that was threatening to kill you mere seconds ago was now comforting you?

"i know it must be really painful." he whispered, staring deeply into your eyes.

all you could do was ever so slightly nod your head in agreement.

he looked so vulnerable in that moment, and for some reason your heart ached for him.

"do you still hurt?" you breathed.

"all the time." he let out. "i feel like my life has only been pain."

your brow furrowed. "what makes you say that?"

"everyone around me has suffered. my parents are dead. all of my siblings are dead. half of my childhood friends either went to prison or are dead. anywhere i go, only pain and suffering follow. i've dragged so many people down with me over the years... i'm cursed." he looked away from you, his eyes blinking back glossy tears.