68: realization

sanzu, kakucho, ran, rindou, and mochi returned to headquarters about 30 minutes later. they checked the usual lounge you would work at with koko, but you were nowhere to be found.

"i texted akashi on our way here and she's not with him and mikey either." mochi said, sighing as he put his phone back in his pocket.

"i'm going to check her apartment." kakucho said before heading upstairs.

"we'll check mikey's office." ran shrugged.

"she won't be there." sanzu said matter of factly, but he still lead the charge going into mikey's office. ran and rindou followed him in, much to his annoyance.

"look." he gestured around the room, but the haitanis still went in further to check.

unfortunately, everything looked the same as it had been: storing several boxes and envelopes of information.

where could she be? rindou wondered as he sat down on one of the couches in mikey's office.

mochi and koko walked into mikey's office a minute later, the latter who had just returned from his appointment.

"still nothing from her?" koko asked the three men as he sat down across from rindou.

"nope." sanzu said before reaching into his suit jacket pocket and getting out a pack of cigarettes. he lit one up and started smoking, a pensive look on his face.

ran sat down and stared off into space, while rindou checked his phone every 30 seconds just in case he heard from you. there was a general sense of panic starting to set in between the men, but no one was ready to accept it yet. hoping that you were in your apartment, they waited until kakucho came back.

but the moment he did and they saw the distressed look on his face, they knew something was wrong.

"she wasn't in her apartment?" rindou broke the ice.

"no, but everything looked normal.. all her clothes and bags were still there. i didn't see her keys or phone though." kakucho responded, taking a seat next to mochi who was nervously playing with his fingers to pass the time.

"fine. let's find out where she ran off to." koko said, pulling out his computer and bringing up the tracking information on your phone.

sanzu and rindou crowded behind koko to look at his screen while ran, kakucho, and mochi remained seated on the couch across from them.

"it looks like she left here and went to... a cemetery?" koko said uncertainly.

looking at the gps data for your phone, you had left some time ago and went to a cemetery.

"why would she do that?" sanzu asked quizzically.

"she is the only living person in her family." koko reminded him.

"that's not true." rindou spoke up, making the others turn to look at him. "she has a brother."

"what? no she doesn't." sanzu scoffed.

"yeah she does. she told me she has a step brother."

"she had a step brother." kakucho corrected.

confusion passed over rindou's features as he looked up from koko's computer screen to the scarred man.

"what the fuck? are you telling me he's dead?"

"that's what y/n said to me." he confirmed.

rindou still wore a bewildered expression while kakucho walked over to koko and sat down next to him to look at the location of the cemetery. koko handed the computer over to him, keeping a watchful eye on the map displayed.